Sunday, June 28, 2020

A change of pace

The Peterson's invited us to go out to see the Oliver Cowdery memorial in Richmond, Missouri. We held our own quick sacrament meeting at the house and then changed into cooler clothes and headed out.  There is no shirts and ties in this kind of humidity...that is not smart. We know Heavenly Father loves us and doesn't want us to die of heat exhaustion.

The girls are so excited to get out of the house!


Rob Peterson prepared some history and led the discussion. It was so interesting. We were in the shade and the breeze was so lovely. It was neat to be there and it really made me think about what it might have been like to be a part of the church in the early days. I have so much sympathy for those early saints and the monumental faith they must have had in order to leave their lives and come out here. I can imagine that it wasn't a perfect path for any of them.


Kylie is freshly home from her mission and has loads of experience doing church history tours on temple square...so she did some reading from the memorial. I had no idea that he was buried here.


We took the time to look around at some of the other graves and headstones.


This one broke my heart.


A group photo...


Just like these happy folks from 1911.


We popped down the street to a park and ate our packed lunches. It all felt so...2019. You know, when this was a normal thing to do instead of slightly on the illlegal/reckless side. How dare we sit next to one another!

Life is so weird these days.

And, yes, I have mixed feelings about it. I'm sure I've made that abundantly clear.


After lunch we stopped at the city cemetery to find David Whitmer's grave.


I loved the quote.


It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment