Friday, May 20, 2016

Power of music

Mr. Harrington was the band teacher at Sunnyside for 3 of my kids.  Now he is retiring and even though we don't actually know him that well...or really have a super personal relationship with him, the very thought that he would go to his own retirement party and there wouldn't be anyone there makes me want to cry. 

So we went and we (introduced ourselves) made small talk and the kids brought their instruments.

Because Mr. Coughlin told us to. And I might be a little afraid of him. 

As a part of his reception, everyone pulled out their instruments, or loaners from the school, and sat down to play through some 6th grade music. Which I think is super fun and made me wish I had kept up on the french horn. NOT the clarinet. The clarinet made me cry.....another story for another day.

But seriously. How cool is it for a kid to be stand partners with his band teacher? (Ethan was stand partners with Mr. Filla)


Or be able to look over and laugh with your old (or current!) middle school band teacher? (Mr. Hepford playing flute on the left)


There's Mat!! See him there in front of the bass drum?


Even Megan considered playing percussion but decided the music was a little too advanced for her. But I love that those bearded percussionist in the back did their best to invite her and encourage her to play with them. 

And I love that this guy wanted to be a part, so he grabbed some salad tongs and contributed. 


Music is special.

It gave me an identity and a place to belong. And I can see that happening for my kids now....which is exactly what they need.


No comments:

Post a Comment