Saturday, May 28, 2016

Camping with the Clarkes

One day, while in conversation with Fred and Sheila Clarke, we mentioned we'd like to go camping sometime during the summer. Which made me nervous because we haven't had much success in the past and haven't made much of an effort in the last 15 years. 

They promptly invited us to camp with them over Memorial Day weekend.

Sounds good to me! We'll camp and I won't have to be the mastermind of all. We will have older, wiser people present. 

But as Memorial Day approached, the weather forecasts predicted rain. Lots and lots of rain. 

So we cancelled. I dropped off the watermelons I had committed to bringing and explained that I was nervous about severe weather and risking it with that many kids in my care. 

But then I looked at that Summer Bucket List and a voice inside me told me that if we didn't go now, we wouldn't go at all. Sooo....we changed our minds again! We packed our things up (except perhaps changes of underwear for the 3 youngest girls....an oversight that would come back to haunt me very soon), and headed out to Hillsdale lake.

Where we were greeted by.....no one.

We were the first ones there! We knew that rain was coming, so we hopped out and had the boys get their tent up (yay, scout campouts!) and Mark and I got ours up before the rain started up.

Soon the Clark clan arrived. 

And arrived.

And arrived.

Which was the moment I realized we had crashed a Clarke family reunion. 

So we helped put up the hugest tents I've ever seen.  Was it bad that when it started to rain while they were doing this, I ran under there so I wouldn't get wet and watched them from the comfort of the "inside"?


I should have known that my efforts to stay dry would come to nothing.


The kids found a little baby mouse in one of the big tents. It game me warm-fuzzies and the willies all at the same time.

He's pretty adorable.


Mathew also made friends with a cool snail.


I am diggin his shell house and cute snail feelers.


Once the tents were up, we went about the business of camping....you know, eating. And then lighting a fire so we could do more eating.


Ethan, McKenzie, and Laney





Mathew holding Jacob Clarke, trying to win his bet on how long Jacob would stay clean....and Sheila Clarke.


Everly, me, Jacob and Dylan Clarke, Mark


After dinner we heard the thunder roll and we knew it was time to take shelter. But not before I gave all the girls a piggy back to the road to see the meadow full of fireflies. One at a time.

The storm hit and it was LOUD. Rain on tent material is not soothing when it's more than a pitter patter. I was fully prepared to run for one of the big tents if things got dicey.

But the storm passed and we all slept through the night.


I was very grateful that Mark insisted on bringing the air mattress. Absolutely worth jamming it through the tent door.  Sorry for doubting, hon.


We were taking a selfie when we spotted the girls behind us....


Soon we were up and about and enjoying some pretty amazing breakfast burritos. The girls ran off to find wild tracks. This one here is possibly a close relative to Scarlett, the Clarke's German Shepherd....or maybe a wolf, you know, whichever.


Sheila gave a beautiful morning devotional. She spoke about all of the unexpected things that have come to them in their marriage and family and some of the blessings that have come because of difficult circumstances.


Her son, Jeremiah, spoke about a fellow Marine that didn't live through their tour to Afghanistan. It was cool to get a glimpse of this cool, loud, rambunctious,  loving family and how they are making it through their lives together. It reminded me of my family and all of the hard things that come are way. We'll make it. We'll love each other and forgive each other and give each other a hard time. 


The devotional ended just in time for Mark to check on our "On Track" team at the Crossfit Regionals. shawew.

The guys had a pick up game of football. I love that. (alghough, Mark got a patch of poison ivy on his arm...ouch)


We spent the rest of the afternoon down at the lake.

Everly the mermaid.


Bailing out the canoe.


Mathew and McKenzie taking a turn.


It was a beautiful day and I'm so glad we went.


Let's do it again in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment