Sunday, December 1, 2019

Patience rewarded.

Let's take a peak back to 1999...when sweet, young, penniless Mark and Maren were celebrating their first Christmas as a married couple. Mark wanted a fake tree. Maren wanted a real tree. They agreed that they'd take turns every other year. Fake, real. Fake, real. 

We were winning at compromise. We had marriage totes figured out. 

2019.....

We are getting our VERY FIRST live Christmas tree!!

And lest you think this is due to Mark being domineering...oh contrare. It is 50% my thriftiness (why buy a tree when we have one crammed into a bag in the storage room?) and 50% laziness....it is so cold outside. Why do trees have to be sitting out in the cold? It's warm in our house. Let's just put up the fake tree. Again. 

But I've had a rough month. A little grey cloud has been following me around. Making me want to take too many daytime naps and skip things that take any amount of ooomph.  I mentioned in a lazy kind of way (like I do every year) that we should get a live tree.

And Mark gave that perfect smile and said, "Is that what you need? Let's go."

So we did!

And it was so cold and it took energy and ooomph. 


The kids were so excited.



They sliced a couple discs off the bottom so the trunk  would be fresh and the tree would take drinks like a pro. We left a disk behind for their customer wall. The other disk is in my coat pocket and I take it out and breath in that fabulous smell and it makes me feel better about the universe.


They trimmed an unruly branch off the bottom of our lovely tree and I made sure to take it home so we could use the boughs for shelf decoration.


So...we finally have a real tree. And it's so cute and worth every penny. And almost as good is that wonderful disc of Frasier Fir that I get to carry around in my pocket. I'll give it a sniff when the cloud comes around.


No comments:

Post a Comment