Friday, July 29, 2011

A visit from the Huffords

The last week of June we were thrilled to receive a visit from Mark's eldest brother, Jim, and his fabulous wife, Ameli.

We did some cool stuff and we ate yummy food, but my favorite part was just sitting around and talking. It was nice to have an opportunity to get to know them better. And we also cooked up some plans to do some type of extreme racing event in the coming year.

I learned a new word: RAGNAR. It sounds like something I'd love to help with by handing people their water bottles. There was also some discussion of doing a race called "Tough Mudder". There is electrocution involved. Sounds perfect for those Hufford boys.

Events of the weekend included the Cubs/Royals game. The Cubbies took the win and Mathew consumed much stadium food. It was one of those "natural consequences" situations.
I don't think he ate again until 24 hours later.


He got to go alone with Dad to make up for not going to the Kentucky Derby in May. He likes to remind us that the Cubs game didn't FULLY count because there was no air travel involved. I think air travel is like naps and Mexican food. Kids have got it all backwards. I would trade a plane trip for a nap and an enchilada any day of the week.


Aunt Ameli, Mathew, Jim and Mark. Not as outnumbered by Royals fans as you might think in Kansas City. What is it about the Cubs and their loyal minions?


The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out at the house. Ameli was awakened daily by crazy children jumping on her air mattress. Poor things had to sleep in the living room. Not a whole lot of extra real estate to be had around here. We've got kids in every space with a door.


The boys introduced Jim to the joys of Beyblades. He was an excellent sport and even did the obligatory Beyblade war cry: "1...2...3....Let 'er RIP!"


Oh...we also went canoeing at Kilcreek Park. It was fun, but humid. At least I thought that is was humid. Now I laugh (HA!) at how ridiculous I was because that was nothing compared to how humid it is now. That humidity was child's play. Anyway, when I think I'm feeling humid, I only manage to take one photo of canoeing trips. It's one of my shortcomings.

Come again, Jim and Am! Or maybe we'll meet you out west for a crazy race. I'll bring the first aid kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment