Sunday, July 24, 2011

Night games

Let's face it.

Bedtime has flown right out the window.

I used to be able to maintain a fairly rigorous schedule, even through the summertime. But these days I am hardpressed to sell a 7:30 bedtime to the residents of my household. The sun simply refuses to go down before 9 pm and it seems that is just when the party is getting started.

When everyone is around and the parents are feeling amiable, the kids of the cul de sac like to congregate and have a good time together.

Having a good time means different things to different people, it seems.

For Megan, it means stealthily stalking fireflies with Charlie from down the street.

Surprisingly, she even likes to catch them and hold them in her hands. I wouldn't have guessed this about her. She strikes me as a "GET IT OFF ME!" kind of gal.

Not so.

But I do believe it helps that they "sparkle".


Check out this picture:


The way I see it, there are three distinct groups:

1. Girls standing in a group giggling and hanging out in there short shorts and tank tops. There was extensive texting and picture taking and a general air of flirtiness about them. It brought back alot of memories just watching it from the porch.

2. The Older Boys standing a few feet away staring in admiration while thinking up new ways to tease and get the girls' attention.

3. The "little kids" playing with their army guys and completely oblivious to the fact that hormones were flying willy nilly from the prepubescents all around them. They were clueless.

And don't think for a second that I wasn't FLAT OUT THRILLED that my two boys were knee-deep in army guys.

I will sleep well tonight.

1 comment: