Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fourth of July

Did you know that fireworks are illegal in Johnson County, Kansas?

ILLEGAL?

I didn't either until I realized that there was a noticeable lack of red and white tents set up in grocery store parking lots. I thought maybe I was missing something.

I was.

They're illegal.

This is hard for someone from Arkansas to wrap her brain around.

So we did the next best thing.

We found someone in another county to blow them up for us (and foot the bill).

But first!

We did fancy firework nails...courtesy of Aunt Kaira and her magical manicure supply box.


Mom stood guard over boiling potatoes and eggs for the potato salad. She passed by researching her birds on the laptop. My, we are a computer literate family.


Kaira made a fabulous patriotic jello dish...

Mark manned the BBQ.... and kept our disassembled swingset company ....

I slaved over some tri-color cupcakes (recipe here)...


And Anna helped out by behaving in her Bumbo with a Mum-Mum. I would like to take this opportunity to say that I, too, would like to contribute by sitting in a Bumbo and eating a Mum-Mum...but only if it is a cheddar-Jalepeno flavored Mum-Mum, because seriously, have you had those new Cheetos? Oh say can you see!


After we ate all the yumminess, we packed up and headed to Independence, MO for the firework show. My personal assistant, Regina, was good enough to clue us in to the best fireworks around. Word to the wise: when googling "Independence Fireworks" you are going to get more than just fireworks in Independence. Turns out the word "Independence" is quite common when used in relation to the Fourth of July. You've been warned.

We drove up just as it was getting dark, parked our cars and headed out to find a spot to park our behinds.

I look pretty excited, no?


Isn't my mom the cutest? Yes, she is. AND she carries blankets!


The fireworks started just as we located a good spot. Here's Ethan and Charlie getting excited about the start of the show. Or maybe they're doing the Hand Jive. Either way.


This really is the first time we've taken our kids to a big firework show. You can tell by their expressions. They'd never experienced something this big exploding so close. They were very appreciative and squealed and clapped and cheered from the start to the finish. It was so fun.


Megan and Addie

Mark spent the evening taking pictures and experimenting with the camera. He got some great shots.


Overall, a great way to spend the Fourth.

What an amazing country we live in....that we can spend the day with people we love.

Happy Fourth of July everybody!

1 comment:

  1. I am so thrilled to be your personal assistant! Most days I just say I'm a housewife, but now I can add a professional title! Can I type anything for you...please?

    ReplyDelete