Thursday, August 25, 2016

The 'Pokemon Go' Tour

Mathew served his final jury duty tonight. And while he was in the courtroom, I thought I'd go walk about outside and gather "pokeballs" for the boys. I won't bother with all the details of the game, but I will say that it's a game that sends you all over town looking for little creatures to capture. And in order to catch them, you use a pokeball. When you run out, you must go gather them at "pokestops"...which just so happen to be located at places of interest all over town. 

Now, I don't care about this game.

But I do care about the boys and I thought it would be fun to surprise them, since I knew that they were always running out of pokeballs.

And here's the really cool thing: this silly game took me all over the place and pointed out so many things about our town I would never have noticed...it's like a cool tour of the cities most unique features. 

Like this gargoyle head located on the side of a regular brick law office.


Which led me to this great doorway. How cute would a photo of the kids be in front of this door?


I found this old place called the Pickering house. It's a mansion that was built in 1870 for Major Isaac Pickering, a Civil War veteran, and is now being restored by a kind man who couldn't bear to see it torn down. It's really beautiful.


I also found a statue that is dedicated to pioneer children that died on the trail. It's called "Children of the Trails". The way it's designed, it looks like they are jumping across the rocks of a riverbed.


Makes me want to sneak around with the pokeman game and find cool things while the kids are at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment