Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Grandma Jean's 70th Birthday Dinner and a Realization

Grandma Jean's birthday dinner took place at 6 pm at the Abuelo's in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Ethan has mandatory marching band rehearsals all morning and the next day. 

That means we are going to need to make a 3 1/2 hour drive down there, eat dinner, and turn around and drive it back. 

No probelem!  It was definitely no problem on the way down because Mark did all the driving and I snoozed and read my book. It was eeeasy.

We stopped for some bright and cheery birthday flowers: 


Arranging flowers/repotting plants is a special en route skill of mine.

The Allred/Hufford cousins:


Jean realizing her cupcake cake looks like a large purple mattress:



One of the great things about families....hanging out and shooting the breeze.


The girls presenting Grandma with their handmade cards and letters.


We laughed and enjoyed the food and conversation. We got to meet Simon (the Allreds soon to be adopted son).

And then it was time to drive home. UGH.

Mark is very used to waking up at 4:30 every morning to Crossfit with a couple friends. Which means that he is ready for bed by 8 pm and almost incapable of staying up past 9:30. Because I want to live and I want my children to have a future, I knew I was going to need to do the driving on the way home. 

Now, I really was tired., too. I had a knot of fear in my stomach. Falling asleep at the wheel is something that you don't consciously do....it just happens. Luckily, I could feel my legs getting sore from the morning's workout and the pain I could inflict on myself was enough to get me about halfway home. 

Then I relied on a roll of lifesavers (1 every 10 minutes) and an interesting podcast from Mormon Stories to get us back to Olathe. 

We are alive. 

That was scary and I will never ever do that again. 

I'm too old to be driving that late at night. 

I remember my Grandma June saying that. And that freaks me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment