Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Summer Dates!

This year we added kid/parent dates to our Summer Bucket List. 

It's been tricky to find the time, but absolutely worth it and something we really need to keep going. 

We split the kids up according to how much time we get to spend with them. 

Mark took Ethan, Megan and Everly....

I took Mathew, Laney and Anna.

Anna chose a breakfast date. She got to pick a donut at KC donut and a chocolate milk. One of the great things about being with just one kid....saying 'yes' to chocolate milk doesn't cost you 25 dollars. 

After donuts, we went to Savers Thrift store to peruse the "treasures". She selected a miniature decorative plate with sparkly unicorn. It was truly fantastic! 


Mark and Ethan went on their "date" to a guitar shop in Denver. And because they are boys, they did not take a selfie....and they would not appreciate me calling it a date. But I sniffed out a couple photos of their matching Fender hats...



Ethan has really been getting into guitars and Mark loves it!

Mathew and I went on a date to a 10:30 pm showing of "The Secret Life of Pets". Mathew says it was really good. I wouldn't know because I am old and can't stay awake. I slept through the middle, my arms pulled into my shirt and feet tucked under me because that theater was FREEZING! I wish I had remembered my afghan....so cold and so old.

Mathew was sweet and patted my arm every few minutes. He was happy to have his super mega soda.


I felt bad about sleeping through part of our date, so we made a run through Freddy's for a treat a couple days later...it was the least I could do. Sacrificing!


Mark told Everly that he was going to take her on a date and she was SOOOOO excited! She got all dressed up (with Megan's help) and chattered about it until it was time to go.


They went to Applebees for some dinner. She chose the grilled chicken and broccoli. She insisted that this wasn't part of the date....this was just a "restawant".  Then they went over to Hobby Lobby and she got to choose a new Beanie Boo. I little pink and grey cat on a backpack clip....with huge sparkly eyes, of course.


Laney and I went for breakfast as well. I offered IHOP or Panera....but she couldn't resist the sweet call of KC Donut either. And I got the fun of giving her an enthusiastic thumbs up when she cautiously pointed to a HUGE long john. Again, keep those expectations low and when you say 'yes' to a giant donut, you are a hero. She got a Gatorade to wash it down and I stuck with my classic glazed and a white milk.


Then she decided that Anna's date sounded like just the ticket and we went to Savers to treasure hunt for her. She took careful stock of all her knick knack choices and ultimately settled on a dolphin figurine. They were meant for each other.  I loved having the time to talk to her about her dreams for the future and all the things she's looking forward to in the 3rd grade.


Megan was the last one to go out and that very fact caused us a lot of grief....I mean, her grief over having to wait until Mark wasn't actually AT WORK started to cause me a lot of grief. By Saturday, I was very clear that they better go to lunch or I might say something I regret. Good grief!

So they went off to Freddy's for burgers and custard. I don't have all the details, but I do know that they came home with two new toilet seats and blinds for the basement....which can only mean one thing.

Home Depot.


Summer dates complete! Check it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment