Saturday, August 20, 2016

17th Anniversary...realism and romance

We started our anniversary off with trip to the church to attend a baptism. Which was nice (and short!) Ethan was at the high school getting measurements for his marching band uniform. I can't wait for marching band season to start! I tell you, all things become way more interesting when your children are involved. 

Anywho....of course, as we tend to do, we stuck around to talk to Dylan and Jessica Clark. Naturally, one of my kids was running around with my phone and took a photo of us (gasp!) in the chapel. Shooting the breeze. 

For shame.


But I really needed to take the opportunity to thank Dylan for donating his church shoes to Mathew. Because he FORGOT TO WEAR THEM.

He's 13.

So that nice man took off his shoes and socks and gave them to Mat, then put on his combat boots that he had in his car and wore them through the baptism. Interpreting for the deaf the whole time.



Kindness, my friends.

I spent the afternoon in a bedraggled, picked over school supplies aisle at our local Walmart. I could feel my blood pressure rising steadily as I contemplated buying the same calculator for the 3rd time. Money doesn't grown on trees, people!

Mark stayed home and taught Ethan how to rotate the tires. Which he loved. He was a happy boy all day long. Maybe we're on to something there?

We dropped off the girls at the Guenthers at 6 pm and headed out to BRGR for a yummy meal. Now, I know that it's our anniversary and traditionally, we would feel obligated to get gussied up and go to a restaurant that has tablecloths. But we have suddenly realized that we don't care! That's what seventeen years buys you, I think. Freedom from caring about the weird looks we got when our friends asked us "Ooooh! Where are you going to eat for your anniversary??" And we said, "We going to go get a burger."

Well, burgers are good. We wanted a burger and we wanted it fast.

Also, we had heard there were "Pig wings" and we were not disappointed. Wowzers.


Mark tried them out. Not too bad.


And then he tried them with the spicy sauce on the sweet "wing".

And then he was in.


The burgers were fully committed to being burgers.

I ordered the "Cinco de Mayo". And Mark got the #5...



And I ordered onion rings made for a giant. We had to cut them in quarters to be able to dip them in the sauce!


After dinner, I directed Mark to a park "I'd been wanting to check out". He is always sweet and up for things that interest me, so didn't ask any questions. So trusting.

We made our way to the Old Red Bridge at Minor Park.


And Mark wondered aloud what all those things were on the rails of the bridge.


I showed him that there were couples names written and engraved on all the locks and we looked at some of the cool ones.

Written on the keys: Partners/In/Crime/Forever


Super cool fish lock.


He was surprised when I pulled one for us out of my pocket.


And he set about finding a place to put it.

It didn't quite fit up there.


We finally decided on a spot right in the center of the bridge, so we would be able to find it next time we come out.


I love him so much and I'm proud of our 17 years and everything we've done together in that time.
Having him as a partner and best friend makes the hard times easier and the good times better.


No comments:

Post a Comment