Friday, July 13, 2012

Utah trip....tubing on Deer Creek

When we finally returned from "creeping", Mark had done a little investigative work into what it would take to rent a boat and go tubing/water skiing on Deer Creek reservoir.

Now....

You may not know me very well, but this is the type of thing that I don't typically participate in. I'm not what you would consider "adventurous".  In fact, as he was telling me all about it, I kept thinking of my precious children falling off the boat or somebody's life jacket slipping off. Even now it strikes terror into my mother-heart.

Also, there was the one time I went water-skiing in college and ended up being dragged around the lake while a professor and his son yelled repeatedly..."LET GO OF THE ROPE!"

I have to say it wasn't really that fun.

But Mark.

He loves that kind of stuff. He is adventurous.

So instead of veto the idea, I agreed and I was glad I stuffed our swimsuits in the car as an afterthought right before we left Kansas. We didn't even have to go back to the cabin to change!

Laney loved hanging out in the passenger seat. She was not interested in doing any type of activity outside of the boat. I was very grateful....my mother-anxiety was thankful.


Megan was interested in being the flag-girl. She did a fantastic job. She did go once with her Dad, and I drove very very slow.....as promised.


Me and Anna spent our time riding in the back and then I straddled her between my legs while I drove a boat for the first time ever.  She wasn't pleased by this arrangement and kept trying to climb to the side to get a better view of the water, which forced me to whip out my crazy "vice-grip thighs" on her. She did not love it. But she is still alive.


Mark showed me how to drive the boat in a very thorough 2-minute lesson and then hopped out of the boat, onto the tube, and gave me a "thumbs up".  I then gave hime a reason to fear for his life. Apparently 35 miles an hour feels a lot faster when you are hanging on to an inflatable tube for dear life.



Ethan was reluctant to go tubing and his father bribed him with treats and money and then threatened him with serious consequences if he didn't get out there and give it a try. He finally agreed in return for the privilege of playing the latest racing game for 1 hour on Mark's ipad. So, Ethan pointedly made me promise not to take the boat above a slow crawl and I solemnly swore to be true and faithful.

Mark gets out there with him and he keeps giving me the "go faster!, c'mon! go faster!" hand signals.

And so it goes. The age old struggle between the parent who saves their children from a life of boredom and the one who keeps picturing little bodies slipping out of life-jackets.

So who won?  I did....that's what you get for letting me drive.


Mathew was the daredevil of the day. He went out every chance he got and even tried to do a little water-skiing. He has an adventurous heart, this one. It didn't matter what kind of air he got on that tube...he was hanging on.


We had so much fun and I am so glad I married a guy who likes to do the "crazy stuff".


No comments:

Post a Comment