Saturday, January 3, 2009

What can you say about 2008?

It was definitely a wing dinger of a year for us here in the Hufford household. Just a few of the things I'd like to remember:

Laney was born. This is an obvious one. Having a new person in the family changes everything and has made us all just that much happier. She's a sweet girl and 9 months old now. I love how much she is changing everyday. She is crawling and cruising and yelling and whooping like an indian. She is the kind of baby you imagine baby's will be like when you are daydreaming as 14 year old. Kinda like having a teddy bear come alive and crawl around on the floor all cute and fluffy. Minus the poop and the all-night nursing, of course.

Many pounds were gained and lost in 2008. Mark and I had just barely lost the loads of weight we gained in the first year of our marriage, and then I got pregnant and gained it all back. Laney arrived and I had to lose it again. This has left me with NO clothes that fit. I was like a frumpy bag lady. Thank goodness for Christmas.

This was the year of the 5k. I, myself, prefer to walk, but Mark started running in 5ks and I signed up to do one on Labor Day weekend because of peer pressure from ladies in my ward. This, of course, was less about what they actually thought about me and more about what I THOUGHT they thought about me. I'd say that's a major reason a good percentage of things get done in my life...pride, vanity, and competition. What can I say? Mark wrapped up the year with a half marathon. We were so proud!

I learned that you absolutely canNOT freeze salsa. It's so yummy going in, and so gross coming out. Never again. Never. again.

I lost yet another battle with the squash bugs and the squash borers. This makes the score 5-0. I'm on the edge of surrender. I'm this close to never planting another zucchini in my life. oooh. Just thinking about it makes me mad. I think next summer I'm going to stick to the stuff that works for me: tomatoes, onions, beans, peppers, cucumbers, and peas. Take that squash insects. I hope you starve.

Mark started teaching early morning seminary this year. As amazing as he was before, I have noticed such a change in him. He tries so hard to be a good example and sincerely live the gospel. It has influenced every aspect of his life. If I could have one wish it would be that the kids he teaches could really know how much he cares about them and wants them to feel the spirit every day.

For me, this year has been 12 more months of learning to accept the death of my dad. I never imagined he would leave us "early". I try to imagine that his actually just fine and happy to be free from his body, but really it still hurts. I want him here and I want my children to know their Grandpa. I suppose I'll have the next 12 months and then the next 12 after that to keep letting the pain go and allowing the truth of the gospel to make it better. I did have one experience this year that really helped me to grow. Last summer, I was out running some errands and Mark called me on my cell. He told me that while he was mowing the lawn, one of the kids came out with my string of pearls broken in their hand. He tried to find all of the beads, but couldn't be sure he had them all. I was brokenhearted. My dad had bought me those in an antique store when I was 17. We were out "treasure hunting" and it is one of my dearest memories of him. My first reaction was to find out which child had done it and lecture them, essentially making that child responsible for ruining something they could have no idea was so important to me. Thankfully, I had time to pull myself together and I could feel the spirit teaching me an important lesson. The necklace wasn't as precious as the memory of spending a day with my father and being the center of his attention. It wasn't the broken necklace that made me want to cry...it was that I can't call him on the phone and here him call me "Muff" anymore. Then I realized that while it is true that there will be no more memories to make with him on this earth, the memories I have cannot be destroyed or lost. I have them to carry me through and rely on. The little pearls were collected and placed in my jewelry box and the child responsible never received the undeserved punishment. I was reminded of my father's love and the reality of his continuing life.

This Christmas as all the presents were finally opened and the kids were busily opening the maximum security twist ties and packaging on each item, Mark brought out one last gift for me and set it on my lap. I was truly clueless as I removed box from a gift bag. Inside was a soft leather case, the top suede flaps tied with a ribbon in the middle. I was thinking to myself, "What did he buy? Where will I possibly wear something fancy?" He was smiling that smile he gets when I knows something I don't. I opened it up to see my beautiful pearl necklace repaired and looking just as it had when I showed it to my father that day. Mark hugged me as I cried. "I did good, huh?" he said. Oh yes. So good. The best Christmas present ever.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post! It brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry about your dad. He was such an awesome guy and teacher. Everyone just loved him!! I know what you mean by not expecting to lose a parent so early. My dad, so strong and healthy all his life, was diagnosed with Multiple Myloma (bone cancer) last March. It's been a rough year of chemo and transplants for him. There is nothing harder than to watch someone you love suffer. The fear of him losing this battle is constant in my heart... I can only imagine what you are dealing with as you work through your feelings each day. My thoughts are with you! What a wonderful memory and treasure you have with that necklace! You should write that story down, so that it will always be remembered and passed down from generation to generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just amazing! And Mark is totally amazing. That was the sweetest thing, he really did do good.
    Thanks for your uplifting and laugh out loud posts. I always feel better, no matter what mood I come in, after reading your blog!
    Thanks goodness for the Gospel, eh!
    Also, love your new haircut! A good haircut is worth a million dollars, literally!
    Love ya!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete