Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Democracy


That's it! A new President of the United States. I was amazed by all the past leaders gathered together in one place. I'm ashamed to say that this is the first inauguration I've watched or cared about. What a beautiful thing to see our constitution in action. The transfer of power executed so peacefully and orderly. I was moved to tears and I felt the stirrings of the Spirit as I listened to our new President speak of the need for all of us to sacrifice and hold to the truths and virtues our country was founded on. I was impressed with his directness and I feel hopeful for the days ahead.

My favorite parts:

"Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead they knew that our power grows through its prudent use. Our security emanates from from the justness of our cause, the force of our example and the tempering quality of humility and restraint."

And:

"For those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocence, we say to you, "Know that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken. You cannot outlast us and we will defeat you."

Yeah! ooooh. I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are so much better than I am. I started to watch and was met by much weaping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, so I turned on Elmo instead and there was peace once again in the land.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete