Thursday, January 22, 2009

Excuse me?

Prayer has always made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I never could put my finger on it, but I've given it some thought lately and I think I figured it out. I've always been a mind-your-manners wait-your-turn kind of gal and it feels very bossy and pushy to just hit your knees and start praying with no idea what Heavenly Father happens to be doing at the moment. What if He's busy with something else and I just start talking like I'm the only person alive? What if He's eating? What if He's having a little quiet time? I'm sure as the Father of all, he needs a little quiet time. I would feel so much better if I could get one of those buzzy light up thingies they give you when you are waiting for a table at Chili's. I'd go pick one up before I start putting kids to bed. He can let me know when he has a minute and then I'd feel much better laying it all out there for Him. As it is, I get done with my prayer and more than anything I expect the answer to be, "Maren, I didn't see you raise your hand."

2 comments:

  1. You aren't interrupting! It's voice mail. Maybe that's why some answers dont come for months.....He is like me and only checks it when He has some down time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are to funny! Love the post and the thoughts about prayer. And I love Sarah's comment about voicemail. I am sure it works that way up there:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete