Friday, December 9, 2016

Ward Christmas Party....conversations with Santa

This year there were a few things I will remember about our ward party. 

There was the moment earlier in the day when I had a sudden feeling that I had forgotten something. Something big. Something I better figure out....fast. I made a phone call and was reminded that I had committed to decorate a table for the ward party that night. I was panicking. Maybe I could find something on pinterest that had to do with pinecones and epsom salt?? Maybe a thrift store vase or two?? But then my friend, Karina (also on the hook for a table) informed me that it wasn't one of the large tables that people were eating at. It was a small decorative table that would be entered into a competition that would be judged. 

ugh. 

Karina and I pinky-swore to only use stuff we already had around the house. I grabbed my brass deer, the decorative trees off the kitchen table, a simple 3-piece nativity, a string of lights and the muslin cloth we use for our Mary costume every year. A couple of dollar store stars I bought last week completed the look. 

We went in around to noon to set up the table and lend a hand with the rest of the decorations. Somehow they snagged the newest member of our ward, Jennifer Anderson, to organize the whole thing. You got to get them while they're still disoriented, I say. She took it all in stride and pulled it off with calm and practicality. 

My hat's off to you, ma'am!

Later on, when it came time to announce the winners of the table decorations, we realized that there were only 3 entries. And their were 3 prizes. And they were clearly planning on proclaiming the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Me and Karina looked at each other with panic. I won 2nd place which was fine with me because the 1st place winner picked the prize I would have picked last. lol. 

And next time I'll know what I'm getting into if that list comes around during primary. 

But, the real star of the show was Santa. The girls were intent on communicating the desire of their hearts to the big man. 

Laney did her best to paint an accurate picture. 


Anna was suddenly shy. She managed to ask for a Pokemon stuffed animal.


Everly was freaked out a bit. Who is this guy? Is he really responsible for the presents? Just to be on the safe side she mentioned that she wouldn't be mad if she got some Paw Patrol toys.


And, no doubt, the hightight of the entire night was when the adults were busy cleaning up and the kids were able to run around on stage like crazy people, smashing into each other with fake presents.


Finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment