Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Daddy's away...

Mark is out of town. He's been gone since Sunday and he'll be gone for another 4. He is at a Microsoft Conference in Altanta for 5 days (yay! Free stuff! Nerdy toys and little gadgets!) Then he comes home for a few hours and leaves for Springfield to complete his Crossfit L1 certification for two days. 

He went to Atlanta with his co-worker, Carl. He is very funny and cool. I was happy for Mark when I found out he would have a friend to enjoy the week with instead of an awkward associate that he would have to make small talk with. 


There were lots of classes. And lots of products and vendors.


But there were also guitars....


And there were other guys that could hold their own on the stage...



I think it was the highlight of his week.



While he was gone, we tried to get through each day as calmly as possible. As fight-free as possible. And by Wednesday we were exhausted. I sometimes joke that having Mark out of town isn't that much different than having him here. We are both so busy with kids and work and church callings, we largely move in our own spheres of responsibility.

But it isn't true.

I miss him.  He makes my life easier in hundreds of ways that become very clear when he isn't around. Not to mention I just really miss him. Filling his shoes made the week feel like a tall order.

Monday we went to Ethan's Marching Band Festival.  (He's the trumpet player right in front of the far right sousaphone.)


I cried. That seems to be a new thing for me. Crying to the marching band. The kids were cold and luckily Mathew found a blanket and a beach towel in the trunk. That gave us just enough material to fight over.

Tuesday was youth night at the church.  The boys played ultimate frisbee and the girls had a talent show.

Laney read the first chapter of her book


Megan played 'The Entertainer'


Wednesday we had homework backlog to take care of.


Did I mention it was my week to drive to Seminary? And preschool?

Come home, Mark!!

We took a bike ride down the Indian Creek Trail to get a little unstructured time together.


The field was locked when we arrived at South High School so we ended up playing in the parking lot. Girls played fetch.


Boys played football.


There was a high level of sassiness and mean remarks made between siblings. I won't name names...but there was a need for a dancing apology when we arrived back home.



Thursday is Everly's preschool, after-school play practice, Ethan does childcare at crossfit and my quartet is coming over for rehearsal.

Friday we see Mark!!! Yay!!! Then he leaves (boo!!!) for his L1 Crossfit certification. (So proud of him.)

Saturday we have the Pumpkin Run and marching band practice and birthday party.....and somehow we need to listen to General Conference. How will we do this?

I do not know.

I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment