Saturday, September 10, 2016

Run before the sun

I started off the day with an early morning run with my friend, Courtney. We've been running together for a couple months now. Our goal was to be able to do a 5k in the fall. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to increase the difficulty of our runs much because the real reason we are doing it is because we need someone to talk to. We need a sympathetic ear and the undivided attention of someone who fully appreciates how hard it is to parent a teenager. (And FUN! Did you hear that, kids? It's really fun too....but seriously hard. Don't worry. You'll find out.)

So I'm not too worried about the whole 5k thing. It'll happen. Or it won't. Doesn't matter that much. 

So we had a good run/talk and then it was straight back home to get the kids ready to go to Old Settler's Parade. 

This year, Ethan is in the Falcon Regiment. Olathe South High School marching band!


I know this is weird, but I got tears in my eyes when I saw him march by. I can't tell you how great it is to see him working hard and having fun at something. I love it. (He's the one just to the right of the center of the picture)


Next came Megan! She snagged the honor of helping to hold the banner for the CST marching band.


It pays to have a big brother in the band!


And this is Mat's last year marching with CST.


Tears! I don't know what is wrong with me! Who cries at a parade?


I'd say the parade was a success and there was a little bit of something for everyone...


After the parade, we grilled up some burgers for lunch and then the boys headed over to a ward member's home to mow their lawn. Mark was busy fighting with the shower....it needed a new cartridge and wasn't cooperating. But! As always, he persevered and came out successful. I never doubted it for a second. Also, if he hadn't figured it out, we would have had to begin a life of taking showers simultaneously, as ours wouldn't actually stop spraying water. 

5 hours without running water reminded me that I absolutely take it for granted that water WILL come out of the faucet when I turn it on. And every time I stared at the little drippy drops and exclaimed, "Oh! duh! Why do I keep coming over here?"

Mark finished with the shower and we finished the mowing just in time to make it over to the Flynn's for Kylie's birthday fajitas!

Isn't she cute? She's seventeen and she got to celebrate with the Huffords, the missionaries and some pretty fantastic apple crisp. 


And off to bed! Except.....I forgot to prepare my singing time.

oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment