Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A real winner

So the celery crop finally "came in".

It was a whopper.

I saw the celery seeds in Home Depot in the springtime when I get that planting feeling. I thought to myself, "Huh. I guess somebody has to grow celery. Why not me?" So I bought it and put it in the blackberry bed. It took FOREVER to grow. Last week I finally went out and pulled one of the plants out (I had a hankerin for ants-on-a-log.)

Did you know that when you grow this:



You will get this:

In the end, it's nice to know that if the end of the world were to draw near, I could grow a bit of celery for the potato salad. Until then, celery is 67 cents at Walmart.

3 comments:

  1. My kiddos LOVE celery! After this motivational post...I will be adding it to the garden! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to wannabe gardners around the world. I love that you have a garden!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how I feel about broccoli. I grew it once. Spent an hour getting all the bugs out of the florets. I realized then, it was worth 99 cents at the store.

    Congrats on your celery. It looks delicious. I didn't realize where the roots were located. I guess I just never thought about it. I love to read your garden posts.

    ReplyDelete