Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Gingerbread

My mom started this tradition when she sent us a gingerbread house in the mail a few years ago. You'd have to agree that we peaked that year:

I mean, really! The sheer quality and variety of the candy is superb! Never let it be said my mom doesn't send quality products.

We enjoyed it so much we thought we do it again in 2008. I naively select one at our local superstore and open it up only to find out it's already assembled! Lamo! Although I may be able to admit now that it was easy and probably as much as I could do with a baby on the hip.

This year I was sure to buy one that need some construction. And construct we did. and did. and did. The blasted thing wouldn't stay together. There was a 15 minute stretch when it magically held. So we frantically applied the provided candies (a pathetic assortment). Luckily I had some M&Ms stashed in my nightstand drawer (pure coincidence).



About 10 minutes after this photo, we found a sad pile of gingerbread and frosting in place of our little house. We all faked disappointment. Then the kids ventured, "Can we eat it?!" I sighed, "I guess so."

It was a win win. The kids quickly realized that they didn't actually like stale gingerbread and I didn't have a picked over gingerbread house cluttering up my countertop for 2 weeks.

I like it.

1 comment:

  1. I was sad that our gingerbread houses were disasters this year, but Will just wanted to eat it, so he didn't care. Is it sad when you care more than the child when supposedly you are doing it for the child lol.

    ReplyDelete