Friday, September 12, 2014

Sick day, crazy hair and crab apple juice

1. Here's the thing. Megan has a speaking part in the upcoming 4th grade play/musical/extravaganza. This is so wonderful for her and she is absolutely buzzing with excitement over the whole thing. Also, this means that for three solid weeks she has to be at school by 7:45 am (A M !). 

Now, Ethan and Mathew typically need to leave at 7:30 and Laney at 8:00. So, unless I am looking for a triple drop off every morning for 3 weeks, Megan is going a little early and Laney is hanging out with Megan at her rehearsal. That is the plan. 

We get up. We have scriptures, we get dressed and it is full steam ahead for breakfast, cold lunches, hair doos and we are out the door. 

On a normal day.

But today is Crazy hair day. So, naturally we need to think up the fantastical, whimsical and gravity-defying and make it happen. Preferably before 7:30.

It's possible some of them didn't get breakfast. 

Cupcake head and Megamind inspired piggy tails.


2. Once all the crazies were gone to school, it became apparent that Everly was running a fever. She wasn't feeling herself:


We declared it a stay-at-home-stay-in-pajamas kind of day.

I whipped up a little chocolate syrup to add to her milk. "Choca" will most likely keep her hydrated and sugared up enough to keep her little body fighting whatever germs she licked off of the grocery cart.

P.S. My brain knows that this photo is of Everly, but it sure looks like Anna to me! She is getting so big!

3. I finally opened the juicer that my mom-in-law gave to me and I've been juicing crab apples all day! I love it! I feel like I'm back home in Payson and watching the hot concord grape juice pour into the sterilized quart jars. And the smell is amazing.

(I didn't even know that crabapples could be this big...ours were like the size of a quarter...)

Now I just need to figure out how to turn the juice into the famed crabapple jelly.

4. Mark is in Utah getting ready to run his 4th Tough Mudder. This time he'll be running with Mat (brother, not son), Jenny, and her son Josh. They are running in honor of Jenny's husband, Scott, who passed away this year from a heart attack. Scott and Jenny had just started training for it when he died. They were able to transfer his registration to one of his sisters and she will be running in his place. I'm hoping they all have a great time and it is another step in the process of healing.  I think it will be a hard and great day.

5. There are apples and grapes in the dehydrator....

I am content.

Tomorrow.....peach leather. And crab apple jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment