Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Evening up the score

Last May, I decided to fly out to Utah for Heidi's wedding to Jay. I was nervous about making my flight and Mark assured me that I needn't be at the airport too early. 

Unfortunately, I missed my flight and ended up spending the entire day in various airports waiting on flights....with a baby. 

Mark felt AWFUL.

I mean.....AW....FUL. 

I felt bad for how bad he felt. 

But my birthday gift to him this year was to even the score. No longer does he have to look back on the airport fiasco with that twinge of guilt. 

Because I forgot his birthday. I didn't forget forget. I remembered the night before and we had discussed what meal he would like and talked about presents (or lack thereof...yay for parenthood!). But in the morning I just got up and went about getting everybody ready for school and making lunches and going about business as usual and didn't say a single dang thing to that wonderful man. As I was driving down the road to take Megan into school (still going super early!), it suddenly hit me and I realized what a monumentally huge loser I am. 

I flipped a 'U'ie and raced back to give him a big hug and apologize for my lame-ness. 

ug. It's still killin me.

OY! I can't stop reliving it in my mind! The shame!

Well...let's move on to less unpleasant things.

 The cake! I think we are definitely entering fire-ball territory with the the candles.


His dinner of choice: BBQ Meatballs, loaded mashed potatoes, corn and sliced homemade bread.


Ethan was in bed with a high fever and Anna was feeling pretty bad as well. She decided to stick around for the food.  


See what I mean about the fireball?


I love what a ham he is for the kids.


He blew them all out in one breath!


He was so proud!


And then they started to relight themselves.


I love trick candles!


Happy birthday, Mark. You are the best of the best and I am SO VERY SUPER SORRY about forgetting your birthday this morning. I plan on getting way more sleep this year, so hopefully I'll be on my game by next September.

Love you!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot my husbands birthday this year too and I didn't realize until noon. Yeah it was his big 40 too! Great just great.

    ReplyDelete