Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bread and weather

1. I made bagels for the first time today. It was thrilling!

I never thought of making something like that, although it really isn't that hard. In fact besides the time factor, it's really pretty easy. You just have to have the time to participate in the process for a few hours. And now that Ever is becoming a little more independent, I have the time. Also, I'm trying to do what I can to keep the kids fed and me out of the grocery store until Thursday. As long as we don't run out of butter or flour, we should make it.




2. The weather is cool and lovely today. It' s 70 degrees and a heavenly breeze is blowing through the house. In days past, I would have thought to myself that God is changing the weather for me because he knows how high the electric bill is and want to help my budget out.

Maybe that's true....or maybe it's just a cool day. Either way, it's nice and I'm grateful.

3. The garden is in full swing. Carrots, beets, cucumbers, beans, tomatoes, onions, and garlic all coming at the same time. I think there must be something spiritual about cultivating all of that life. It's such a deep-down satisfying feeling. It's a lot like the feeling I get from baking or certain aspects of parenting. It feels like creation. If this is even a part of what God feels like when He creates, I can see why we would want to be like Him and do what He does.

4. Laney is in that phase right before she starts reading with fluency. It's tough going. If she is in the mood, she reads pretty well. If she is tired or distracted, she refuses to try and claims not to be able to read even the simplest of words. I am trying to get her to read 3 books a day with me...two repeated from earlier reading and one new one. If we can just get to where she recognizes more words on sight, she will start cruisin through it.

5. I think I've read too many post-apocalyptic novels. As I'm enjoying the fantastic weather, I keep thinking to myself, "Wow. I am sure going to miss this when our ecosystem finally collapses and we are living underground in order to escape the radiation poisoning."

No comments:

Post a Comment