Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Power wash and front squats

1. Crossfit started with front squats today. My goodness, I really hate those. Part of the reason I keep going there and struggling though all the crazy things they have us do is that I really can't face what it feels like to "go back" after a long break. The first class after our Florida vacation nearly did me in. And then there was the next day, when all my leg muscles seized up and I actually forget how to walk like a normal person.

The front squats are killing me.

Also, here was the winner quote from the week...delivered by a fellow that is not a trainer, but likes to pretend he is one, therefore generally strolling about offering unsolicited advice. He walks by as I am doing (my favorite!) a front squat and says, "Don't look down at the ground."
Me: "Okay...where should I be looking?"
Him: "Look at Shannon. She's looking great. She ought to be inspiration for you."
Me: "You are an idiot."

Oh, how I wish I had said that last part out loud.

2. Everly is almost ready to forgive me for weaning her. Each day is getting a little better. Last night she only cried a little at about 2 and again at 5, but she didn't eat in the night and she seemed to be fine. So that was almost 10 hours of fasting. We can manage that.

She also laid down by me for the first time for a nap without screaming for milk. I think she is starting to forget...which simultaneously makes me want to do a backflip for joy and makes me incredibly sad.

Also, while I'm on the subject...I would just like to send it out there that I think it's really crappy that it hurts so much to stop nursing. Just when your baby needs more love and more physical reassurance, the very idea of someone coming close enough for a hug makes me do involuntary karate moves.

Combine that with tender stitches on my thumb and thigh muscles on fire and it doesn't make for a very snuggly mom.

3. We are power washing the fence so as to restain it.

It is taking forever.

4. Mathew and Ethan bartered for a late-night Harry Potter movie night after the girls went to bed. The deal was that they had to refrain from fighting all day. And the did! Until they didn't.....

Nothing like pelting your brother with pinecones and apples while he tries to power wash the fence, causing him to turn the power washer on the perpetrator, that one then tries to jump the fence, at which time the other one pushes him off, leading to  possible ER-worthy injuries....all while I look on in disbelief.

And still they were shocked that they lost their movie night. They begged and pleaded and whipped out every weapon in the kid arsenal.

Puppy dog eyes,
Promises to do better
"We'll make you an offer you can't refuse"
"Everyone deserves a second chance"
"We did so well all day!"
"We were just joking around!"
"We will super-clean the entire main floor."

No dice.
Tomorrow is another day. We shall see if they can pull it off. That means they will have to refrain from fighting during an hour alone while I do childcare at Crossfit, registration at 2 different schools and grocery shopping.

That's a tall order.

5. Tonight as I tried desperately to get Anna to fold her arms for bedtime prayers, she simply would not listen because she was too busy showing off her one-armed push ups while hanging out of her bed. I won't deny that they were pretty top notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment