Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It's a great day to be a baby

It all started innocently enough. Mark and I have kids with lots of hair. When they're little babies they need haircuts or "hairdoos" or they look like rugrats. I remember once when Megan was a baby and I hadn't figured out girl hair yet, I was talking to a sister at an Enrichment Activity and she said "I used to let my little girls hair be all crazy like that, too"
Huh? Hey!
Then I realized that girl hair is a big deal. There's no smoothing it down with spit or using the water from your melted soda ice to "spike it up".

You have to do it. Every day.

So when Laney's locks grew long enough to put into pigtails, we got right on it.

(Okay, seriously. Couldn't you just eat her for lunch? She is a fat little nugget.)
Unfortunately, along with baby pigtails, you get this:

That's exactly what you think it is. The baby mullet. Sure, it starts out all smooth and silky and short. But before you know it, a year has passed and mom is still pulling the top half of your hair into pigtails and leaving the bottom half to fend for itself.

Doesn't she look disgusted?

And if I'm not mistaken, I think she may be trying to use those bars symbolically. "Dear Mother! Won't you please release me from the bondage of the baby mullet!? Release me! Have mercy!"

Lucky for her, during a playdate this week, it was like my eyes were opened to the reality of my daughter's hair situation. By dang, I think that bottom hair is ready to join the pigtail parade.

And here you have it: Pigtails a girl can be proud of.


Somebody bust out the Ho Ho's




Farewell, Baby Mullet.

(Hello, end-0f-the-day-been-rubbing-my-head-on-the-carseat Mini Mullet)


**Hey, Laney of the future? Assuming I actually do print this blog out for you guys, and you're reading this...you know I love you no matter what your hair does or does not look like, right?

Right. Of course. Just makin sure.

2 comments:

  1. Awe, I love the baby mullet. Addison has hers as well - apparently a Hufford gene maybe? Ironically even though she has lots of hair we still don't do bows often because they slide around and spike it all up. When she only wears it long enough for the first 30 minutes of church - why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some pretty seriously adorable pig tails :) I have the issue that my son has the worst cowlick ever. Dad wants his hair short = cowlick that glue won't keep down. Mom likes his hair long = no cowlick. Guess the fight will continue till he's a teenager coming home with blue spiked hair.

    ReplyDelete