Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Anniversary...day 5

Saturday morning we woke up and grabbed a bagel from Einstein's, then headed to the Museum of Science of Industry. We had hopes that this one would be a little be more interesting than the others had been. We were wrong. It was just too huge. You'd have to spend your whole day there in order to take it all in and that was not something we were prepared to do. Still, there was a massive model train display that was cool:We slept through yet another IMAX: (this picture was taken before we were both rendered unconscious by the deadly combination of a reclined chair and dim lights. What can I say? We have four small children. Any opportunity to sleep is welcome.) I actually think the coolest part of the museum were the massive women who carry the weight of the building on their noggins:We split pretty quick and hit a Chipotle for lunch. It was very tasty, but I admit that the main reason I wanted to try it was because I saw on 20/20 that they only use happy pigs for their burritos. Hey, I'm willing to do my part. It was delicious and the little city birds were happy to share my tortilla.After lunch we headed for East Troy, Wisconsin for the Coldplay concert. We were there insanely early, but we did stop at McDonalds and finally (FINALLY!) acquired the penguin! It only took 5 tries!

When we arrived at the Apline Valley Music Theatre and quickly realized that there was a whole 'nuther thing going on with the tailgaters. Lots of alcohol and bean bag games. Wierd combo. We made our way to the theatre and found a spot on the lawn.

The opener was a group called Kitty, Daisy & Lewis. The music was okay, but a little wierd and didn't fit with Coldplay's style. Then they leave and the lights get brighter and the big screens turn on and I'm thinking it's time for the actual show. I'm my naive brain I think, "huh! That's cool that they're starting at 8! Oh, and everyone's staying seated...that's nice. Now we don't have to stand the whole time." Everyone seemed excited, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the crowd's reaction. They sing a couple songs and I'm thinking, "I don't really recognize this song."

Duh. It wasn't Coldplay. It was the second opener, Elbow.

So finally Coldplay comes out. Yes, it was late...and yes, everyone stood up and it was great! The music was fantastic and we had so much fun... My favorite part was singing "Fix You" with everybody.

(About 30 seconds of this video and you'll get the general idea.)



About on hour into the show, it started raining...so we ran for it and left early to get back to Chicago. The thought of being on the road with all those drunk people was terrifying.

We made it back by midnight....alive and penguin in hand.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! You found the penguin. My kids get so attached to the different cheap toys from happy meals. So much drama for a dinky toy. Yeah for Megan too for sharing her toy. That was a great moment for any parent. You have a neat family. Glad I can read about your life.

    ReplyDelete