Friday, August 28, 2009

August

I'm not a huge fan of August. Particularly in Arkansas.

Hot and humid.

Makes a girl feel sweaty and nasty.

It's a direct cause of our ridiculously high electric bill. We must have our A/C.

But there are a few redeeming things that salvage the month:

The raspberries are on:

And they are luscious....fat, juicy and luscious. Scrumptious even.

Laney agrees and grazes daily

I can't help but donate my own picking. She appreciates a sun ripened berry.

The fall veggies are starting to sprout. Have I mentioned that I love to garden? I do. I love to garden. Loooove to garden. Love Love Love to garden. The tomatoes are still producing, but are admittedly growing from the wonkiest tomato plant I've ever seen. The kale is recovering nicely, despite the cold blooded murder attempt perpetrated upon it in the Walmart garden dept. Just a little hint associates? You need to water stuff. Or it dies.

This kale is destined to fulfill itself in a pot of yummy Zuppa Toscana. Oh, baby. Sweet sausagy bliss.


And my new project for the summer, the compost pile is a perfect pile of stinky rotting kitchen scraps and grass clippings. It's going to be AWESOME! Can't wait to use it next year.


Maybe August isn't so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! But those tomatoes do look a little funky. I have never tried to grow kale. Good idea. Your raspberries looked wonderful. I loved the boxes you have them in to. We have raspberries as well. Mine come on heavy in July. I am missing having them available, but I am enjoying my jam. I think you are an amazing gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maren, I need your help and expertise on fall gardening! I've never done a fall garden, and since we didn't have our garden watered while we were gone for 3 weeks, the weeds have taken over and some of it died, (okra, and zucchinni, green peppers, and tomotoes are still going, but I need more planted for fall.

    ReplyDelete