Friday, October 17, 2008

Heater Hog

I am happy today. One reason: I turned on the heat this morning. I love that smell of the central a/c burning the dust off when you turn it on for the first time all year. I have always, always loved heaters. When I was a kid we had a space heater that I loved. It look like this, but it was gray.I loved to sit in front of that thing. I'd sit there until the fronts of my shins were getting dangerously toasted then I'd flip around and put my back to it until I couldn't stand the pain! All heaters are not created equal. I've been through 4 or 5 of these suckers. Useless. (sorry, Kaira)Right now we have one of these red hot glowing kind. But it really seems like a fire hazard and doesn't put out any warm air. It just IS hot. I think I could make a good smore with this. Actually I have caught Mathew roasting mini marshmallows on a fork in front of it. I'm thinking this heater and a fork aren't a good combo.
But nothing....and I mean NOTHING can beat a good old fashioned floor vent. When I was a kid I would sit on top of the floor vent with my nightgown ballooning around me. It was a fabulous globe of hot air just for me.....really....the rest of the house was freezing because I was hogging it all. I remember my dad coming out and seeing me there. I actually don't remember him ever telling me to get off. He would just laugh and say, "Hey, Muff". We don't have a floor vent in this house because we don't have a basement, but I am not joking when I tell you it is way up on my requirements for the next house.

Oh sweet floor vent.

6 comments:

  1. Love Mathew roasting marshmallows on it.......too funny. I have to discourage your floor vent requirement when it comes to the kitchen. cheerios klanking around as the air blows.....not so much. each of my kids have been magnetized to it when they were toddlers. Mini garbage disposal. And I believe it was our nephew Steven who used to pee in his floor vents. We DO share the same blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maren!

    Oddly enough I have been thinking about you and your heater vents for the past couple of days. I was even going to post about it last night, but didn't get around to it. You silly weirdo. I have learned a love for the heater from you! Thanks! Those other ones like the picture, I use strictly for noise thank you! I like my kids 'deaf' when they sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maren,
    How do you know Sheena Jibson? She is one of my best friends!

    We had fun at your house last night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the floor vents in this house and I've caught the kids a time or two standing on one. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love the floor vents. We don't have basements here either :( So I have to get my fill when we are in Utah during the winter. I do remember the little floor heater that was in the sugarloaf shack. Pinkish purple in color if my memory serves me right.
    You did love that thing.

    ReplyDelete