Sunday, June 16, 2019

Utah Trip 2019 - Drive to Denver

It's been 3 years since we made the trek out to Utah to visit family and give our souls a break from the humidity nightmare that arrives in Kansas every June and July. We have big plans and we are going to live it up with both sides of the family over the next 3 weeks. But first. 

The packing.

The seat negotiation. 

The limited foot room.



Mark took up his position as the main driver.

I get to be cruise director. You know...snack distribution, activity planning, movie selection, apology coordinator. Its a busy job, but it's gotten better and better over the years. There aren't any babies throwing their crayons on the floor anymore.  And in exchange for making lunch on my lap, I sometimes get to catch a snooze.


We dipped into our lunch supplies for a late breakfast, but had plenty for our picnic lunch at our favorite rest stop in Colby, Kansas.  I couldn't find my plastic butter knife for slicing up the day old Jimmy Johns loaves we brought along, but I knew in my bones Ethan would be able to provide me with a sufficient replacement. Looks like he's planning on skinning some large game at some point in our Utah vacay.


Mark and Mathew dodged the goose poop to get in some hand stand walks.


Mathew climbed....everything. I thought he was up in a tree. And suddenly he was on the roof.


I remembered that we had a cute photo of Megan doing a cartwheel in this very spot 3 years ago....


Still lookin good, Miss Megan!


We watched Horton Hears a Who and (too everyone's horror) Pride and Prejudice...that Anna has mature tastes.  Then we took turns picking favorite songs on Spotify. I think I'll always remember singing "Wagon Wheel" at the top of our lungs in our white minivan. I may have cried a few mom tears.

We were all happy to roll into Denver and get out of the car. In no time the kids were in their suits and heading down to take a soak in the hot tub.


Ethan gave his best swimming pose!


We dried off, hung up the suits and went over to Red Robin for dinner. Our waitress was a mom that also has 6 kids. She understood the value of bottomless fries, I tell you. And she definitely talked like a mom. Instead of asking if we were enjoying the food, she told us how much we were enjoying the food...."Hey! Are you just totally loving that food? Like, you're thinking this food is so yummy you can't even believe it!"  She was a pro. She has my respect.

Back to the hotel and Mark and the boys prepared the sacrament with the last bit of Jimmy Johns bread and a plastic hotel cup. It was pretty special to see them honor and exercise their priesthood with their father on Father's Day. I love this family of mine!

Tomorrow we will make our way to Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment