Tuesday, February 15, 2011

35 is the new 52

So Sunday was my birthday. I am officially 35.

THIRTY FIVE!

I must say that I love having my birthday on Sunday. Mark was home all day and that makes everything better.

I thought I might make a bit of a list. How about 10 things I loved about my birthday, aye?

1. Anna took a 90 minute nap right before church. This allowed me to braid both the girls’ hair AND take my own shower AND straighten my own hair. This was her gift to me. Thank you, baby.

2. I did not have to raise my voice to anyone in order to persuade them to get dressed for church. Can I get a witness? Amen, sister.

3. I got a bajillion facebook “Happy Birthday!”’s. Facebook rocks when it comes to birthdays. It’s like this little subtle reminder to everyone you have ever known that it’s your big day and wouldn’t they like to take a sec to wish you well? I have a renewed determination to check that little reminder and contribute to someone else’s birthday wish tsunami.

4. Mark shopped and prepped and planned a beautiful, healthy meal. I am still working on losing the baby weight and the last thing I need is a table of temptation. So he used his crazy cooking abilities to whip up some Sweet Garlic Chicken, Herb Roasted Potatoes, Corn, and he even warmed the rolls in a toasty tinfoil tent for maximum tastiness.

DSC_1548 (Small)

Look at that beautiful mountain of bread! Mark does not underestimate my love for bread and butter.  This is also something we have strived to pass on to our children. You never know when bread and butter are going to be the only thing at the table that isn’t “getsgusting”. Better learn to really love it.

DSC_1546 (Small)

5. Beautiful roses.

DSC_1540 (Small)

6. My turn for the special plate.

DSC_1543 (Small)

7. The Marachino Cherry cake that is a huge pain to make. The frosting requires many steps…one of which involves the stove. Often this means at least one failed batch. Thanks for the love, honey. This was also the first time I’ve ever seen this cake outside of its 9x13 form. oooooh.

DSC_1553 (Small)

8. The decorations. Streamers, banners, firework popper thingies, pink and silver helium balloons. The ones tied to the back of my chair we representative of our family. 4 pink balloons for the girls, 3 for the boys….love is in the details, right?

DSC_1555 (Small)

9. 36 candles. And one wicked finger burn to prove it.

DSC_1561 (Small)

10. Blowing them out in one breath. Do you love the cloud of smoke, or what?

DSC_1565 (Small)

11. (One to grow on) My hubby got me an ipad so that I can more fully enjoy the techy aspects of my life. I already love it…especially playing Yahtzee with the kids, and solitaire when I’m supposed to be sleeping, and oh yes, checking facebook and blogs in the wee hours of the morn while I rock and rock and rock. Also, my mom and sisters sent me a beautiful spring wreath to hang on my door and a matching arrangement for the entrance table. They are perfect guys! Thank you!

It was a great birthday.

I loved it.

35 is great.

1 comment:

  1. Better than the smoke is the look on Anna's face. So cute! So glad your day was so happy - and yes, that cake is quite impressive. Excellent frosting job, Mump. Love you! One question - why 36 candles??

    ReplyDelete