Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch


Another side effect of moving to a new town. You are starting from scratch when it comes to holiday traditions. We no longer have a solid foundation of trial and error from which to make our decisions on where to go for this years pumpkin patch/Christmas lights/horse and carriage ride/fill in the blank.

So we asked around and finally settled on Weston Red Barn Farm. It seemed to be a nice compromise. Mark and I differ on what makes a pumpkin patch a GOOD pumpkin patch. He likes low key, pick your pumpkin and get outta there. I like the maze, the train, the hayride, the corn cannon the petting zoo...you get the idea. The more we can do....the better!

By the time we drove out there, it was looking like it was going to start raining and the wind was really picking up. We scored an awesome parking spot when the attendant took one look at my hugeness and directed us to a handicapped spot. You know it!

We strolled around and perused the animals and tried to decide whether we would spring for the hayride out to the patch where you would pick your own pumpkin (from the vine!). I romanticize things on a regular basis and this sounded like something I would like to do. The kids were seduced by the rows and rows of huge pumpkins and my frugal side gave in. We picked a family pumpkin and took a few photos. We did a little window shopping in the barn stuffed with over-priced craftiness awash in fall colors. Rather that finding a treasure or two, I found myself saying, "I could make that for a couple of bucks" over and over and over. I did consider a very snazzy butter dish, but in the end didn't think having a turkey on top of my butter dish would work for everyday use. frugality frugality.

It was a beautiful place and excellent for the photo ops.









When all was said and done, we bought most of our pumpkins at Walmart for 2.50 apiece. It made it much easier to hack into them a week later.

No comments:

Post a Comment