Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The beauty of verbal communication

Do you know my 2 year old?

Are you familiar with her mode of communication?

If so, you are aware that she is (in her words) a "good talker".

"I good talker!"

Her personal style consists of the syllable "uh" with key words peppered throughout. Something along the lines of this: "I uh uh go uh uh uh bikewide wif Dad". It is seriously cute and surprisingly effective.

Yesterday she was upset about something and finally managed to wrestle my attention away from the eleventeenth box I was unpacking in order to say...

"I uh uh bee uh uh nose."

I have to say that I highly doubt a bee could fit up that tiny nostril, but I have learned long and hard lessons as a mother and one of them is that it is easier, faster and substantially less painful to humor the child when it comes to owies than to attempt to convince them that they aren't hurt.

So I pressed my finger to the other side of her nose and told her to "blow!"

I fully expected nothing to emerge.

I was wrong.


I'm a B-liever.

Laney, you is a "good talker".

4 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! And I love your mothering techniques. Plug nostril...and blow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should not have read this at work, I am trying not to laugh out loud but it's impossible! Not only is she a good talker, I am quite impressed that she recognized the letter before she shoved it up her nose. Oh, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete