Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A different place

Things are different.

I walk the kids to school now. We used to have a 15 minute drive into the next town. This was not conducive to a happy mother when homework/coats/lunchboxes were forgotten. Now? No sweat.

I have yet to venture outside our 10 square miles. Within that boundary is a Walmart, the school, the church, Home Depot, my doctor and hospital. Pretty much everything we need to survive indefinitely.

We left one cul de sac for another. The kids here come out to play but I haven't gotten a sense for the dynamic with the grownups. If the other moms are out watching kids, is it presumptuous to come park my chair in their driveway to have a chat? Do we do that here? Or do they prefer a "you in yours and me in mine" approach? Only time will tell.

I miss you, Jen and Heather. We had already worked all that out. It was awesome.

Church was hard. The kids took to it like fish to water. Mark was stoic. I was on the verge of tears the entire 3 hour block. Luckily there were two very perceptive young moms - Emily and Regina - that must have smelled my sadness. They used their "someone's having a hard time" radar and located me every chance they got and helped me to feel like my world hadn't actually come to an end.

I miss you Rogers Ward Ladies. I'm the NEW ONE now. It's hard. I'm hoping I'll get over it. I will....right? Right?

Our stuff doesn't fit this house. I'm seriously considering furnishing the "family room" with large bean bags. I have visions of getting stuck in one of them while nursing the new baby. But perhaps that's preferable to our current "find a cozy spot on the tile floor" situation. And who puts TILE in their family room anyway? Brrrrr....

But lest I sound like I'm regretting the move, I do love the school and the area is beautiful. I know over time it will start to feel like home. Everyone so far is healthy and feeling positive about the future.

Now, if only I knew where to park my chair.....

5 comments:

  1. What does sadness smell like? :-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maren! Just do what you do best....BE YOU! Then you will have more friends then you know what to do with...AGAIN! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely sympathize with you, Mare. Moving is exciting and hard at the same time. Since we've left Rogers we have moved into 3 new homes and 3 new wards so I've hard to start over again and again and again. In my experience it's either when you get an "involved" calling (like Primary) or after about a year that I start feeling like I'm not the new one anymore. I wish you all the luck. Just know that we're going through it with you too... just moved to Eagle Mountain into yet another new ward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you just made me get teary eyed! We miss you too So much! Like someone else said, just be You! You'll eventually figure out where to park your chair! And if not.. I know a Great little cul de sac you can always come back to Any Time, even just to visit! Keep your chin up girl friend! Miss you lady!! :) Always, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to make things worse for you, but I really missed seeing you out in the hall at church today and kept thinking about your family....missing seeing the kids during the primary program. Reality is setting in for me that you aren't here anymore...so sad for all of us! Many times I think, I'll call Maren, then I remember you aren't in Lowell anymore.....MISS YOU TONS!

    ReplyDelete