Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ethan turns 9

May 10th marked the 9th year for my oldest son.

9 years is a really long time to be alive. Especially when you are my son. Can you imagine all the parenting mistakes he has had to put up with in that short time. It's mind-numbing. Poor guy.

Well, obviously, he deserved some cake to make up for it.

And what a cake he got. I think I've mentioned before that my kids have a particular vision for their cakes. (Remember the buck and the stallion?) I try to pay careful attention and then carry out the plan with precision. Or at least a good effort.

This year he wanted birds.

Birds in a tree. (no laughing allowed)

And just so you know, if you submit this to Cake Wrecks...it won't make it because it wasn't made by a professional. So there. Don't even bother.

The important thing is Ethan loved it. In fact Megan loved it so much she requested this exact cake for her birthday....only with a very large PEACOCK on the top. I vow to make it happen.

For dinner, Ethan asked for his favorite meal: Chicken Pot Pie.


After blowing out the candles,

He opened his birthday loot and was particularly thrilled with his Rainbow Armadillo Webkin. It was a last minute request on the morning of his birthday and when I went to the toy store while the kids were at school, there it was. I think one of the 3 Nephites placed it there. Because, seriously...a rainbow armadillo? How random is that find?



After dinner we went to Walmart to buy candybars and smuggled them into "How to Train Your Dragon". Which was awesome.



All in all a good way to celebrate 9 years of life on the planet. We love you, Ethan. Thanks again for providing a petri dish for our parental experiments. We're trying. And we're sorry. Happy Birthday.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way with Talmage. My apologies for all the things that I realized were unrealistic, like potty training a boy at two. Let alone any of my kids by two. Love the cake, looked like a fun birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest cake. I love that he wanted birds in a tree. such a sweet pup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for attaching the picture of the buck and the stallion cake! I love you and I love your kids! What will we do without you? At least I will still have your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete