Thursday, October 8, 2009

Isn't that exactly how it goes?

This morning I made myself camel's eyes. It's a gross name for a yummy breakfast.


These are not in keeping with the spirit of my healthy eating plan.

As I was cooking up two of these (because two is the perfect amount for one person), Ethan wanders up and says, "ooh. What are those? Those look good. Can I have one?" Well, my gut instinct was to say, "NO! MINE!" But I just read the verses in Matthew 7 about knowing how to give good gifts to my children (v.11) and so I took a deep breath and said calmly, "Sure."

I put his on his breakfast plate and skulked off to eat my half of a serving. 10 minutes later I come in to find Laney poking holes in it with a colored pencil.

"Hey! Why didn't you eat your camel's eye?"

"I didn't like it so I gave it to Laney"

"And you didn't think to give it back to me?

"Sorry, Mom."

Grrr.

I would've retrieved it from the clutches of the baby, but she had already moved on to the poke and drag technique. It was unrecognizable. And you know as well as I do that making two sets of camel's eyes pushes the boundaries of healthy eating. It can't be rationalized.

3 comments:

  1. I've always called these "eggs in a basket". Maybe I'd eat them less often if I called them "camel's eyes"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always called these "egg in the nest". I don't know, it's a Wadley thing I guess.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete