Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The very PICTURE of righteous togetherness.

Monday night it was my turn to provide the lesson for Family Home Evening. (Let's face it. The only time it's NOT my turn is when it's Mark's turn. Ethan's turn? really my turn. Mathew's turn? So my turn. Megan's turn? Me. Laney's turn? Who are we kidding here? I am the puppetmaster.)

So anyway, I was giving the lesson. It was on fasting, by the way. I was reading a story about a family whose grandmother was "very sick" and they were praying and fasting for her. The story came with cute little paper people that had joints that moved courtesy of brad fasteners. The children were obsessed with these paper people. They each had to hold one. Okay fine, you can each hold one.
Is it warm in here?

Then when we get to the part about them kneeling to pray, they are supposed to bend the little knees and put another face on top that has it's eyes closed. The kids were pushing and couldn't make the knees bend and then the new faces were falling off and I couldn't find one of the faces but luckily it went to the one that Mark was holding. Crisis averted there, huh? Laney was on the prowl and she wouldn't be satisfied until she had consumed someone's paper limb. The volume was growing and growing and growing. Can we turn on the ceiling fan or something?

I stop. I set the paper down and stare blankly. I give up. I can't fight it. The kids realize that the mood has turned south. Mom's been pushed over the edge. Mark tries to stay positive. "Maren?" Inside I'm debating on my next move. Do I indulge myself and end the night with 3 crying children in their beds or do I suck it up and push through the crazy? what to do. what to do.

Fortunately, the silence was broken by an EXTREMELY audible fart and everybody laughed and ran for clean air. For a split second I considered not giving in and playing my well-worn martyr card, but it was a really loud fart. So, what the heck...can't beat em? join em.

Another spiritual feast at the Hufford house. Those are the kinds of rich rewarding moments we never seem to run out of around here.

4 comments:

  1. now THAT is worthy of sending in to the Ensign. A FHE reality TV show would be great. Soooo.....who dunnit? I am guessing Mark - one of his oldest "awkward moment breaker" tricks in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the old fart to break the silence trick. We know it well. At least the night ended on a happy note. No more FHE tension, and the one who dunnit, feels a whole lot better now.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I really enjoyed that laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Mark. I've hijacked Maren's blog to make a couple comments.

    First - I'm appalled that mine was the first name thrown in the mix of this caper.

    Second - I forgive all of you for judging.

    Third - Yes...I DOOOO feel so much better now. It was magical. :-)

    ReplyDelete