Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I dropped off the face of the earth

Yeah, so it's been awhile for the poor old blog. I have an awesome excuse:

Kids were "off track".

So I was focusing all my energy on maintaining a "no kill zone" at the house. Mostly successful.

My kids really thrive on being tricked into doing what I want them to do each day, so I have been writing them each a daily letter (more like a longish note) that they find in the morning. It basically tells them how FANstinkinTASTIC I think they are, what amazing fun fabulous thing we have planned that day (9 am chuck e cheese anyone?) and what they will need to accomplish in order to go (enter chore list). It works like a charm. Unfortunately like all good ideas, I have a hard time sustaining it over a long period of time and soon I am greeted not by "Good morning, Mom!" but "WHERE'S MY LETTER?!"

This, of course, is the punishment all mothers receive when they try to "think outside of the box" as many an Apprentice hopeful would say.

Nevertheless.

We had a week off and just to run it down and be able to move forward.....a few highlights:

Had a whole day of Wii on Monday. Kids were positively glued to the tv most of the day while I organized the garage and updated the food storage. This, of course, made me feel guilty, but I have since forgiven myself and moved on to feeling guilty about other things.

Friends planned a surprise birthday lunch for me and Shelly. I can honestly say I really was surprised. I had even told Alissa I was sorry I couldn't come because I had all 4 kids at home. She persuaded me that it was okay to bring them. I see now that I should have been suspicious....bring all 4? Crazy! However, I had such a nice time, had yummy homemade soups, breads, jam, honeybutter, salad and got a few recipes to boot.

Janeen made a delicious cake:
We got an excellent photo of our awesome teamwork in blowing out the candles: (Laney and Ian look none too thrilled to be included in this moment) After lunch we attempted to get a couple of pictures of Shelly with her kids which I must say went swimmingly (despite a bit of the brotherly choke hold)
Our family seemed slightly less cooperative, and holy double chins Batman!
Due to Shelly's diligence and photography prowess, we did get this: What you don't see in this picture is the crazy shiny forehead I had and my current batch of painful acne I've been freaking out over. Also Laney's belly is hanging out like a drunken sailor.

(black and white and photo editor, gotta love it)

Mid week was a blur of lounging around the house peppered by unnecessary trips to Walmart. A word to the wise. Unless you want bowtie toast, buy your bread last...Last, I tell you!
I'm pleased to report the boys have still retained their willingness to play "Pretty Pretty Princess" with Megan. Thanks to Shelly for passing on a box of dress up paradise for Megan. It helped her through a long week.
Friday was birthday 33 for me. It was a fun relaxing day. Mark brought me my favorite bagels and the best OJ on the planet (well worth a ridiculous price, I promise). Complete with roses.All this after getting up to teach early morning Seminary...I love him!

For dinner we had Cafe Rio Pork....and I am as close to speechless as I've ever been. It was so good. It makes me want to invite each one of you over one at a time and make it for you so I can see the look on your faces! Holy Canoli! Loved it! Praise be to Kaira for the recipe. It has joined the permanent rotation. Ingredients will be stocked in food storage. mmmmmmm......

To top it off, Mark and the kids got me knives that cut, pans that don't go downhill and a food processor that holds more than one cup at a time (not joking....goodbye minichopper!). Practical and perfect. Thank you honey!I wish I could now regale you with tales of our romantic Valentines day, but we kinda fuzzed out on it. We have declared a do-over for this weekend. But the leftover Cafe Rio was muy bueno!!!

4 comments:

  1. glad your birthday was wonderful! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo happy late birthday!

    lol@ bow-tie toast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Maren, Happy Birthday to you ( and then to the Wadley add on) We all love you we do, we all love you we do, we all love you dear Maren, we all love you we do. And that's the truth!!

    Glad you had a great day!

    Umm, please pass on the cafe rio recipe. I think I need it real bad.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week! Cafe Rio is one of my fav places to eat. What a great addition to a birthday.

    ReplyDelete