Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New food.

Does everybody have those 20ish recipes that seem to get stuck on repeat for the better part of a decade?
I’m in a cooking funk.
I can’t eat another bite of Apricot Chicken, Meatloaf, or Pork Chops with cous cous.
I refuse.
So I’ve been scouring recipe blogs and asking friends for recommendations.
We’ve had a couple successes. (link away!)
Not that success equals our children consuming enough of it to sustain life…because that would be asking too much, mind you. Success is Mark and I enjoying our dinner and nobody else vomiting at the table. If they made it all the way to the bathroom, it’s highly likely I’ll be cooking it up again in the future. It’s all about lowering your expectations and looking for the silver lining through the vomit and over the cries of, “I just can’t put it in my mouth! It smells so….so….wrong!”
We also had some definite duds…
  • Black Bean & Pineapple Brown Rice (way too healthy. Made me want to poke my eye out and did actually cause vomiting at the table.)
  • Homemade Corndogs (way too greasy.)
  • BBQ Chicken legs.
So…here’s what I’d like to know. What do you love to cook? Do you have a recipe that you make when you want to impress dinner guests or that your kids go crazy for? I’m dying to know! Please share a link or email me a recipe or anything! I promise I’ll give it a try.
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Maren, I am going to send you some of my favorites/my kids' favorites. Though, be warned: I do not have the magic. I can feed my kids a dinner they absolutely love, and they will still not eat enough of it to prevent their asking for a snack ten minutes after I've cleared the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed your dinner menu included 20 recipes. I think mine has fallen down to 3. Homemade pizza, tacos and spaghetti. I know I used to cook other things, but I'll be darned if I can remember what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooooooooh some of these look SO yummy! I have a feeling your 20 contain my dozen that I seem to repeat so much.

    I feel inspired to spice my dinner menu up a bit now :)

    ReplyDelete