Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bike rides and tornadoes

Today was our first day of Summer.

No school!

We celebrated by going for a morning walk/bike ride. I walked and pushed the little girls and the three oldest rode their bikes. Luckily, it rained last night so we were able to ride through many muddy puddles. It added to the glamour.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but there was no Nature Bingo on this trip. I haven't gotten my ducks in a row. Instead we did a highly elegant and refined "yell out any animal or bird you see" thing. It was very successful and I'm positive the neighbors appreciated the wake up call, it being 7:30 am on the first day of summer and all. We like to serve like that.

We saw lots of bunnies. This one is number 17.

What? You can't see the bunny? REALLY? That's too bad. I guess only highly trained bunny spotters have the skills necessary to hone in on it.

Bummer for you.

We also found many worms.

Many, many worms.


The kids felt compelled to help them to cross the path safely. It was the right thing to do.


Hey....who told you you could sit up? Who do you think you are, FancyPants?


And what's with that casual lean on the arm rest there?

You think you're so big?

What happened to the squishy little baby that used to lay back and take a nice little nap?


Well, even without the Nature Bingo, it was a great start to the summer break.

Then a couple hours later, the tornado sirens started blaring and we grabbed as many electronic devices as possible and ran for the cellar.

We set up an air mattress down there the night before because we live in KANSAS and it's tornado season. So I don't know about you, but if I have to sit in the cellar for lengthy and undetermined amounts of time, I would prefer to do it on a squishy mattress and not the concrete floor that you know full well the dogs have peed upon on more than one occasion. But that's just me.

So we sat down there and listened to the sirens go off 8 times. Each time the kids would pull the blanket up over their heads and concentrate even harder on the episode of "Wonder Pets" they had playing on the ipad. (Three cheers for technology!)


I was busy texting Mark and holding the little pup while she sucked her thumb.

Cuteness knows no fear.


Then I entertained myself by taking pictures with my camera phone and checking the weather updates every couple of minutes. After about an hour of that I decided I'd sneak up and turn of the blaring weather alert alarm. I made my children solemnly swear to stay put while I braved the upper floors. I felt a bit sheepish when I realized the sun was out and shining and the birdies were singing.

I gave the all clear and they all opted to stay in the cellar and play more ipad.


That was fine with me.

I had a Kit Kat hidden in my sock drawer. I could use a few minutes of alone time.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious.....(About the storm being over). :) Might I also add that the worm was Ginormous???? Mutant - or is that the norm for a KS worm?

    ReplyDelete