Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A week of Utah

We visited my family in Utah for Spring Break. Poor Mark did not take the week off, but unselfishly was willing to drive straight through the night with us, work every day using his laptop and cell phone and then drove straight through the night back again. Words cannot express the gratitude....it's been almost two years since I've seen most of my siblings. So here are a few photos of the visit:

Visiting the "Museum of Ancient Life" (of course I ended up holding the baby and pushing the stroller)
Loved the "hands on" exhibits.
The kids especially enjoyed the water and sand station.
I really liked the idea that they got to excavate a dinosaur. Cute idea.

I took the kids up to Temple Square just as a crazy blizzard hit. The construction combined with one-way streets and my "back woods" driving skilz made for a stressful parking situation. Luckily the senior missionaries in the South Visitor's Center were happy to direct me to a suitable parking garage. We enjoyed looking at "the real temple"...the one they've seen in "The Mountain of the Lord". I tried to explain that they are all real temples, but it fell on deaf ears. We visited a couple from our home ward that were serving in the Family History Center and we took a VERY thorough tour of the North Visitor's Center. I would have liked to see the film at the Joseph Smith Building or go peruse at the Church History Museum, but let's be serious....I was already pushing my luck. So we opted for lunch and Hagelman's deli. I thought it was fantastic, but my kids rejected their fancy food. Rejected it to the tune of 28 smackaroos. So in my thrifty manner, what I couldn't eat myself, I wrapped up and added to the crazy stroller madness. The snow subsided and we made our way back to Spanish Fork. All in all, a fun day with my favorite kids.


Last but not least....a much anticipated trip to Cafe Rio. Amazing food, true. However, I would be lying if I said it was better that Kaira's. Her's just can't be beat. In fact...I think that just got added to this weeks menu. ooh....Pork Barbacoa....visit me in my dreams....


M & M
Kaira's girls, Charlie and Addie


Brian and Heidi with Laney (thanks for the break, it was heavenly to eat with two hands)


We were sitting in the blinding sun. At some point throughout the meal each one of us took our turn being blasted by UV. Uncomfortable, yes, but not enough to stop eating flan.

Laney's turn in the sun. Cheyanne, Ben, Mom, and Lara.

The above, take away Ben, add Thayne, Hali and Jordan


Our family is big enough that if you are sitting on opposite ends of the table, you may not even speak to several people (sorry Lara, Ty, Jordan, Ben and Mom. I was hampered by distance and blinded by the sun...also I was stuffing my face at a rapid pace.)

3 comments:

  1. ok, so you REALLY have to forward this recipe that you always speak of - I'm dying to try it. As a non-utahian I have to see what this cafe rio-ness is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. sorry Laney, not "Lainie"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Ashley, forward that recipe would ya!! :)
    I love all your Utah pics. And we totally love the ancient life museum too, very expensive, but very good!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete