Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Harvest time...

It's that time of year again.

We have to chop down the ridiculously large amount of ornamental grass we have in the backyard.

One must protect oneself from the giant razor sharp blades (very fitting word, 'blades') of grass by wearing a long sleeve button-up shirt and leather work gloves. Don't forget the bajillions of tiny itch-fest fibers that will fly around you and down your shirt when you start cutting into the grass. I get around that by tying a dishtowel around my neck (bandana style) and then one more around my mouth so I won't breathe it in (stick em up!)

Just take a moment to let that mental image wash over you.

I know, GORGEOUS. But this is not a time for vanity.

Once it's all down, then throw it over the fence and let it go back to mother earth.

This year, I chopped and Mark chucked.

And for the first time we enjoyed to fruits of child labor. Here's to many more years to come.



I really hate doing this, but I love how the grass looks in the spring. It blows in the wind and makes me feel like Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edwards Island. (I loved that movie in middle school).
See what I mean?

It is pretty enough for 6 months that I'm willing to put up with the ugly and the dreaded "chaff in the whirlwind" (hack hack) every year.

Do you think a chainsaw would be overkill for next year's harvest time?

Yeah baby! We could do it in record time....

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a job, but one that pays dividends. We have a job similar, but it is just weeds we have neglected all year. Maybe this will be the year we repent and weed through out the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually looks like tons of fun. At least you have something to look forward to each year, I mean that and planting the veggies.
    BTW I still love Anne of Green Gables, classic.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to live on Prince Edwards Island. Ahhhh Gilbert...

    ReplyDelete