Tuesday, June 14, 2016

First Ever Activity Days Camp

Sometime back in February, I attended a Primary Presidency meeting as a newly called Primary Chorister. I'm fairly certain that I was only meant to stay for about 15 minutes and get up to speed on anything relating to my calling....buuuuut....i have a hard time voluntarily leaving any situation where I get to speak to other grown up people. So I stuck around and gave my two cents on this and that.  Which brought us to a place where I wondered aloud if we couldn't possibly put together a day camp for our Activity Days girls, seeing as the cub scouts have one every year. 

Our awesome Primary President, Marie Johnson, not only liked the idea, she got the go ahead and then put it all together and organized the whole thing. 

She split the girls into older and younger groups, signed up three moms per group for 3 days, facilitated dozens of crafts, organized 2 plays and a new song to learn for sacrament meeting. It was impressive!

I was the host mother for the younger girls on the first day. We made chalkboard signs, sewed button bookmarks and drew self portraits. It was fun and even though we had 15 girls it went pretty smoothly. Of course, it helped that Jessica Clarke and Lisa Gotfredson were there to help. Regina Sirois came by about halfway through and helped rethread needles. (I may have underestimated the amount of work there...)



We had the girls sign each other's portraits with positive traits about that person. I liked this idea. It was perfect for this age level.


We made a big batch of my mom's braided bread and had the girls make their own buns and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. The house smelled amazing.


On the second day, I was an assistant at the older girls camp held at Kristy Braithwaite's house. The did a get to know you game and practiced their play and song....


Then they did yarn weaving for bookmarks, temple mosaics and pie making. Sheila Lemon was the other helping mom. I was amazed at how calm and kind everyone was with each other. It was so fun and I can't wait for next year.


Also...what a great group of woman that sacrifice and prepare and use their energy to help their daughters feel loved and important. It made me proud to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment