Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013

So here are the Halloween costumes for 2013.  I would spare you the gruesome details of how we arrived at each child's particular costume decision and the arduous process behind getting it all put together....but what's the fun in that?

Soooo.....Ethan.

He's twelve years old and his voice is changing and he DEFINITELY requires deodorant. He's growing up. And part of him feels he is too old to dress up and go trick or treating. Part of him decided to tell me to just "pick out a pumpkin" for him. WHA?

So that's new.

And a little awesome and super sad too.

BUT!

There's another part of him that is still willing to painstakingly cut out armor from cardboard and spraypaint it silver.  Admittedly because I denied his request to buy a 60 dollar Roman soldier costume from Amazon.


In the end, he did go trick or treating. And he got tons of candy while freezing his Roman tootsies off because there are not many jackets that would fit over this thing.

And even though he was playin it cool, he still did this pose for me:


He loved it when I showed it to him and I know when he gets a tiny bit older, he will be embarrassed...but his kids are gonna love it.



Now Mathew.

Mathew asked to be Poseidon. That's right....this guy:


The God of the Sea....what 10 year old boy wouldn't like to have a deadly spear and lustrous beard?  Not to mention those abs!

In lieu of adopting an intense workout to develop his six-pack (also trick or treating in the almost-nude)...we went for....that's right! Cardboard armor!  So go back up to Ethan's picture and trade out the red cape for a blue one and the shield for a trident made from a big cane of bamboo I picked up at the dollar store.

It was awesome.

But alas, he decided to go for last years arguably much comfier Jedi costume.


I'm almost over it. (The trident was awesome.)


Megan requested a "Hooded Huntress" costume from an expensive magazine that arrived in our mailbox.  It was also muy expensivo....and didn't even come with....anything. No boots, no bow and arrow, no long lustrous braid.

Ah...here she is....cute...a little to "sexy" for my 8 year old, so I figured we could alter it a bit and make it happen.



Here is our final product:


She wanted a longer cape and we found some cheap boots at the thrift store. Made her a tunic out of material we had in our "Nativity Play" pile and knocked out a bow, arrows and quiver with a combination of sticks, twine and duct tape.  



And she still looked 8 years old. All is right with the world.

That brings us to the Laney and Anna....the pumpkin sisters.

We found matching pumpkin costumes. So cute! So classic!

I dug up some old tights and we dyed them a marvelous shade of Kelly Green. Unfortunately, I dyed my hands the same brilliant hue and approximately 20 minutes later....they decided they would rather be cats.



And so they were...

Because I'm so very tired. And my hands are Kelly Green.

And last of all, we have Everly.

It's her very first Halloween and so I need to make it special. We can't use any of the other 5 baby Halloween costumes we have because this is the one time as a Hufford you will not have to share your moment. Unfortunate that she won't remember it, huh?

I thought about perhaps Little Red Riding Hood?

A piñata?

A rainbow?

I promise you....Pinterest had so many wonderful suggestions. But when all was said and done, I settled on an owl hat and a soft jacket with little felt wings pinned to the sleeves.




Because having six kids has taught me many things.  One of which being that babies DO NOT love being dressed up in fussy costumes. No, they do not.

Not even sweet little owl hats.

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. Maren, You have always done such a great job on costumes with your kids!

    ReplyDelete