Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The garden and a new love

The garden is in full swing. The beans are on. The tomatoes are on...those I planted and the many many others that came up in the compost pile. The cucumbers are on. The jalapenos await their destiny in salsa. The bell peppers are ripe for the picking. There are cantaloupes aplenty. 

But I have discovered something new. 

I have fallen in love with beets. It turns out that if you water your garden on a regular basis, everything grows better AND tastes better. 

The beets are like little purple jewels of earth candy. 

I am totally bummed that I only planted 2 rows. 


I have also discovered that carrots absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, don't even think about not doing it....MUST be thinned.  If you can bring yourself to pull out most of those sweet little baby carrot plants, the rest of them will have room to grow.

And then you will have the fun of pulling up the big ones:


And it is so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment