Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The graduate.

I always think of that part in "The Incredibles" where Mr. Incredible and his wife are arguing about going to their son's graduation.  You know the part:


Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation. 
Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade. 
Helen: It's a ceremony! 
Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but if someone is genuinely exceptional... 


So I personally have no recollection of ever wearing a graduation cap before I completed high school.

And I'm positive Ethan has worn at least 3 in his short 11 years.

I'm not really making a statement about any of this.

It is what it is.



And I think it was pretty fun to get a babysitter and go to an activity where our oldest was the center of attention for a few minutes. That hasn't happened for him in 9 long years.


He received an award for being artistic. Which he is....have you seen his drawings? They are pretty amazing.

He also tripped on the stairs on the way up to the stage and smiled and laughed about it. He didn't get that from me. I would have burst into tears and run bawling from the stage. I wouldn't have come out of the bathroom till the whole thing was over and the janitor was ready to lock the doors. Thank heavens for Mark's genes.


I laughed when they all threw up their caps at the end, because for some weird reason, a lot of the parents were gasping with disapproval.  huh? I thought that was the whole point of having caps in the first place, right? I mean, sure, you might not get your exact cap back, but let's be serious,

a) the thing was made of blue felt.

b) you have 2 others at home...the ones from preschool graduation and kindergarten graduation.

c) your probably going to get 3 or 4 more before all is said and done.

d) if they are going to get lice from someone at school, they probably already have.
 

One of my favorite parts was watching my son interact with his friends.



I had really great friends in school and it made a big difference in my life. These ones look like keepers.


On to middle school!

1 comment:

  1. Loved you analogy of throwing the caps. Classic! I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete