Saturday, May 5, 2012

Separate but equal.

Last year Mark was able to take a trip to the Kentucky Derby with Ethan. It was a dream come true for the kid and gave both of them some great memories and much needed one on one time.

But you can imagine that for son #2, there was a little jealousy and feeling left-outedness.

Understandable.

But we also felt that it was time to stop treating them like twins. That means:

a) when someone gets something they are needing (shoes, jeans, school supplies) we are not obligated to purchase additional shoes, jeans, school supplies in various colors to avoid any accusations of unfairness from the other kids. It's a slippery slope, my friends.

b) we can avoid bankruptcy

c) in time, they learn to not go into shock when someone gets something that they don't. Eventually I wouldn't mind if they went so far as to be happy for that person.  These are lofty goals, I know.

So this year, we talked about Mark taking Mathew to spring training in Arizona. Mark's brothers like to go down and enjoy watching the baseball players and spending time together. But as the time drew nearer and nearer, it was obvious that the timing wasn't going to pan out with Mark taking work off.

So, Mark decided it was time to take a road trip to see the Cubs.

Chicago bound...with a borrowed hat from Dad.


They rode on the "L". Great fun for a kid that has never even ridden in a public bus. (I relate...can I get a witness, Paysonites?)


They rectified the "borrowed hat" situation at the game. And threw in a pullover and new jersey for good measure.



Mathew chowed down on the delights of the baseball vendors.


I don't think he enjoyed himself much.


While in Chicago, they took the opportunity to:

Stand in Lake Michigan


Catch a 3D movie


 Meet a lady with an unusually large head


Eat at the Hard Rock Cafe


See tall buildings



Endanger young lives on the top of tall buildings


And ride in a taxi


It was a great weekend for both of them and even though I felt a tiny little jealous at being left out, I plan on buying myself a purple spiral notebook next time one of my kids need school supplies.

And then there're the times when Mark texts me during one of their 'camping in the cold tundra' scout campouts and I feel even better about staying home with the babies.



No comments:

Post a Comment