Friday, December 16, 2011

Santa...to be or not to be?


Okay...could I get a little advice here? 

What in the world do you do about "Santa Issue"?

I waffle back and forth between being honest with my kids: "Santa isn't a real person. He is a symbol of generosity and love and the spirit of giving." 

Rough kid translation "SANTA ISN'T REAL! .....mwah ha ha HAH!"

Just when I think we've discussed it all very thoroughly and all of there fears and worries have been soothed and questions answered,  I sit down to wrap those presents on Christmas Eve and I cannot stop myself from writing: From: Santa ** From: Rudoph  **  From: The Ninja Elf ** etc, etc, etc

Megan turned to me as Christmas Day wound down and said, "I DO believe in Santa! Because he came to our house!"

Oy.



So...which role do you prefer? 

Magic Crusher? 

or

Big Fat Liar?

3 comments:

  1. I tend to lean toward magic crusher. I was seriously scarred as a child when my parents finally told me that Santa was a big lie. I definitely don't want to do that to my kids! It sorta helps that my father-in-law is a professional Santa Claus. My kids know that Santa is really their grandpa. I explain to them that "Santa" is a title, like any other title. Anyone can be a "Santa", just like anyone can be a teacher, lawyer, doctor, or parent. "Santa" is someone who gives gifts in secret. He doesn't want you to know who he is, so he leaves presents under the tree at night when you're not looking. As for elves at the North Pole and flying reindeer, I tell my kids that it's a fun story to believe in, and if they want to believe in it, I won't stop them. However, I won't be scattering oats in the snow or throwing carrots on the roof on Christmas Eve either. And I do cringe at movies like "The Polar Express" and "Miracle on 34th Street". So ya. I'm a bit of a Scrooge about the whole Santa thing. That jolly old elf has really put us parents in a tough spot, hasn't he? The big jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda loves the whole story and spreads it to the children with relish. I'm more passive about the whole thing. I don't perpetuate, but I don't extinguish the light and joy either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, you pose a tough question my friend. We are total believers around here. Whenever my kids ask if Santa is real, I reply, "He is if you believe he is." and leave it at that. We definitely don't have lengthy discussion either way. I can't even remember when I learned the truth about Santa, so it obviously didn't crush me. It's just one of the right of passage things we go through as adults, it's kind of like learning about sex, when did we learn about those things, who knows, one day you just know. I say let the magic live, let it live!!

    ReplyDelete