Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday

It’s Wednesday.

We didn’t even get out of our beds and get moving until 10 am this morning. That has got to be some kind of record for us. We are usually up and doing by 6:30, school or no school. We have Anna to thank because after she woke up and snuggled in bed with me for a while, she decided she could use a two hour nap. Being a fat little baby can be so exhausting.

So we finally got up to have scripture study. We didn't want to skip it, because we haven't missed a day since General Conference. What is that? Like 60 days or something? THAT really is a record for us. But lest you think that I'm bragging, the reason we have been successful where we have failed miserably in the past, is because we have stumbled upon the magical element to family scripture study. Wake them up so early they don't have the energy to fight with each other. Try it. I promise it's like a miracle. Unfortunately for me, by 10 am, they were lookin for some action. Somehow we survived, but I'm skeptical about the amount of spiritual nourishment that took place.

After that, we kicked around and did a few chores here and there. The kids watched several episodes of Garfield on Netflix. I felt guilty about it, but really…I didn’t have any better ideas that I was willing to follow through with, so I let them alone.

I microwaved some leftover spaghetti for the kids and I sautéed some onions, zucchini, and tomatoes for me. I realized halfway through the meal that the tomatoes were not nearly as yummy as the zucchini. I was unconsciously forcing myself to eat them anyway until I remembered that I’m in charge and life is too short. Viva la zucchini!

Finally I mustered up the energy to undo my “mom ponytail/bun”, use my straightening iron to make it look like I hadn’t slept in until 10, slapped on some mascara and a bra and we were on our way to the library.

This is so riveting. You’re riveted. Don’t lie.

After that whole fiasco, (5 kids…in the library…individual cards…do the math), we decided we might as well go do the grocery shopping. I held out as long as possible. I don’t know what it is, but I think grocery shopping during the summer months is like exercising. I just don’t really feel like doing it, but then when I get out there, It’s not so bad. Only it is so bad. I tried bribing them and all it did was tick me off even more when they decided that they would really enjoy playing tag in circles around my cart. I thought I might actually crawl right out of my skin and go all alien right there in the cereal aisle, but instead I just swiped those little treats right out of their disobedient little hands and said, “THESE are mine.”

Mercy.

Mercy, mercy, mercy.

Megan cried, Ethan opted for a bitter, “So much for movie night!” and Mathew, in a stunning turn of events, apologized in detail for his role in the evenings shenanigans and asked if he could help unload and put away the groceries.

Is it just me, or did this boy have a breakthrough? I do believe he has unlocked the secret to living in harmony with Mom.

After a few loud and exaggerated statements of praise for his wisdom and helpfulness, the other 3 got the clue and mended their ways. Groceries were put away in record time and the treats were returned. So we settled down for night 3 of our Star Wars Movie Marathon. We are all a little concerned with Anikin’s attitude. He could use a little humility or something bad is going to happen. We’ve got a feeling.

And just in case you have read all this way and are feeling like I didn’t really have much to say about this day, I’ll leave you with a few quotes from my little children, all during the movie:

Meg: “We need to have leesagna. Garfield loves leesagna.”

Meg: “Who farted?” (riotous laughter)

Mathew: “I think Laney farted.”

Mom: “She’s asleep.”

Mathew: “Sleep farting.”

(more riotous laughter)

5 comments:

  1. This post was hilarious. Oddly enough, even though I don't have 5 kids to pack around, I feel the same about grocery shopping too. I went today and only had one sucker to bribe two kids with...have you ever been successful at bribing two kids to stop crying/screaming with one tootsie pop?

    Yeah, me neither.

    Keep up the posts, they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maren your posts are always so funny! It's so life and you take those moments and write them well. I just caught up on your past entries and about died when I read about your little guy in his talent show. This exact same thing happened to me and my oldest last week. She told me she wanted to sing a song in front of the entire school. My gut reaction which I thankfully didn't say out loud was to think, "Shouldn't you have a talent to show?". Worst Mom ever! So I supported her and helped her practice and danged if we didn't realize a little bit too late (when she was standing up on the stage with mic in hand...) that we had sent the wrong music with her. Poor child. It's like her parents are intentionally trying to cripple her budding confidence. Even after someone yelled out "stage fright!" when the wrong music stopped playing and she hadn't sung a word to it... she still smiled and told me she wanted to sing her song. She's amazing. I so failed that one. lol!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moral of the story....Mathew saved the day. I love that pup....and it was definitely MEG who farted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just hear your, "THESE are mine!" from here. I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heartily laughed out loud when I read about your "go alien" remark in the grocery store. I think moms across America can relate to the painful chore it is to take the whole family to the store. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know someone else "gets it".

    ReplyDelete