Friday, September 17, 2010

Meggy Moo



Someday she's gonna be really bothered by that nickname.

But for now, she's Meggy Moo and she's 5.

She's a kindergartener and her massive backpack makes her look about 2 when she's walking into that building.

She specializes in many things. Namely doing exactly what she wants, when she wants.

She loves to dance and put on puppet shows in the large "window" that separates our kitchen from our living room.

She can be incredibly generous and kind with her siblings and in the next breath, declare "Off with their heads!"

She loves school and rushes home on Mondays to complete an entire week's worth of homework in one sitting.

She is a reader!

She does this incredibly endearing thing....she says to me, "I have a present for you". Then when I say, "okay, what is it?" She gives me a big hug and says, "I love you so much, Mom." It's really fantastic.

She's terrified of Laney.

Laney loves that she is terrified of her and Megan's screams just invite more of the same. It "feeds the beast", if you will.

I'm trying hard to teach her to stand up for herself, and we have had a bit of success with a hands-on-the-hips, I'm-not-scared-of-you approach. We'll see how it goes.

She has tons and tons of blond hair. She was the hairiest of all the babies. She says she wants to cut it short, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Not yet, anyway.

I wish people would stop telling her how beautiful she is. Let's give the girl a chance, you know? There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Let's all agree to tell her how kind she is.....deal?

This girl loves her barbies. She doesn't know it yet, but I have recently decided to lift the moratorium on Barbies in our house. She's gonna have a good Christmas. Can't wait.

This also means that we'll have to revisit the "You have to be skinny to be beautiful" train of thought that led to the moratorium. sigh.

Sometimes I look at her and I realize that someday she is going to be a mother and she'll call me and we'll talk it all over. At least I hope we do. How amazing will that be?

Lately she has been fascinated with what "parts" a girl has and what "parts" a boy has. We have had many brief but frank discussions about it. It doesn't scare me as much as I thought it would.

She's a strong little girl and I'm proud of that. I want her to stay strong as she grows.

She's really wonderful. Can't believe she came from us!

No comments:

Post a Comment