Thursday, January 7, 2010

Memo

To my children. Whom I love.

Eating your dinner is not, and never will be, a prerequisite to eating something other than what I have prepared....for dinner. Eating a few bites does not qualify you to have a bowl of ice cream and I'd like to remind you that this very meal was your "favorite" just last week. A short 7 days ago.

Save your tears and your declarations of injustice. They fall on deaf ears.

Also, when you say "I'm full". I will take that literally. Although I am well aware the precise translation is, "This dish is disgusting. I'd prefer that it never crossed my lips. I could live a thousand lifetimes and be perfectly content to eat anything and everything besides this. Now that I have been so gracious as to visibly gag down spoonfuls of this slop, may I please have my third towering glass of chocolate milk? I'm going to have to get my calories from somewhere."

I'm on to you. I've been a mother for 8 1/2 years. In that time I have come to a certain knowledge that the phrase "You'll survive" is not only timely but true.

Until breakfast, my dears. Sleep well.

Mother.

5 comments:

  1. I love it!!

    I am going to print that off and use it at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly the mouthpiece of all mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on a loop in our house all Christmas break. What is going on?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took the words right out of my mouth.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. We just had this happen over the weekend. Will kept saying how full he was after only a few bites. I told him that meant no snacks when we got home later because he was so full. As soon as we got home he asked for a snack. I told him to remember what I said at dinner. He crossed his arms, turned up his head and walked out of the room :)

    ReplyDelete